or Connect

Posts by penchanted

With Samsung going head-to-head with so many Apple products, I wonder if we will see Apple choose a different design/foundry partner for their ARM chips (maybe TI). The loss of Apple's business would not be any real blow to Samsung but, if I were Apple, I would not want to be relying on a primary competitor for components that can be sourced elsewhere.
You continue to post as if you are an insider privy to what are Verizon's expectations for Android. If you are, please state your affiliation with Verizon. As for Verizon's stated goals of maintaining and improving profit margins, are you suggesting that a Verizon iPhone would be at odds with these stated goals? Seems to me that a Verizon iPhone would increase postpaid subscriptions and ARPU and also increase churn for ATT. This could allow Verizon to increase their lead...
I said that was my takeaway. You keep trying to argue with data but you have no way of knowing if the data proves that Android has met Verizon's expectation (unless you are a Verizon executive in which case please let us know). Note that I never said Verizon is disappointed in Android sales, only that they might not have met expectations. At any rate, it appears that Verizon would like to add the iPhone to its handset offerings which I think would be a good move for both...
I am not sure why some are trying to turn this into Android v iOS or ATT v Verizon debate. My takeaway from this article and its underlying report is pretty straight-foward: Though Android sales have benefited Verizon, they are still not satisfied with the results. As a result, Verizon would like to offer the iPhone as a handset option. All this talk about Android being available on all US carriers does nothing but explain why Android sales might be underperforming...
Each Verizon iPhone sold (including those moving from ATT to Verizon) reportedly nets Apple somewhere between $500 and $600 dollars in revenue. Even if that number were to drop to between $400 and $500 per phone in a non-exclusive deal, I don't know that I would characterize the added revenue from a Verizon iPhone as peanuts.
Apple should be trying to sync the release of iLife and iWork and offer a reduced price bundle. This would probably encourage further adoption of iWork.I wonder what they will offer for those of us who currently buy family packs. I know they said that the software could be downloaded to other computers using the same AppleID, but what of us who have family members who use their own AppleIDs? I'll be pretty unhappy if I have to purchase the software for each of four family...
In other words, Apple has done these enterprise customers a favor by removing from the market an undersupported product that suffered from a persistent lack of a consistent and stable effort on Apple's part. I don't pretend to know all the ins and outs of running a data center, but I am honestly surprised that people responsible for large data centers would consider the Xserve an option given Apple's lack of a product roadmap and unpredictable communications and support...
Too many people think that Apple is run by a "mercurial CEO" who makes one arbitrary decision after another rather than seeing them as the self-disciplined organization they have become over the past decade.
It also makes a difference if the pixels are adjacent or distributed on the screen.
It will be interesting to see if Apple continues OS X Server development for use with smaller workgroups where a Mac Mini or a Mac Pro might be viable hardware mated with the GUI admin tools. It is hard to see what benefits OS X Server brings to large-scale deployments like data centers where the admins prefer to live in the CLI anyways. I can't really see Apple licensing the server software to other H/W manufacturers (like HP or Dell) but if Apple wants to make OS X...