or Connect

Posts by penchanted

Agreed! While a tender offer will no doubt succeed in Microsoft acquiring Yahoo, it will also likely put off a large number of the talented employees who do work at Yahoo - what should be the real treasure in the acquisition.
Companies that sell advertising space are media companies: they own broadcast stations, billboards, websites or other places to place advertising. While advertising is the end-game, I think Microsoft's short-term goal is adding all the additional "billboards" that Yahoo currently owns - portal, mail, IM and Flickr, in particular.
At 12/31/07, Microsoft had total current assets of 37.775B with cash and short-term investments of $21.076. Microsoft's current offer is half-cash, half-stock - from the press release:Microsoft will likely need to borrow money to complete this transaction which is something that will be new to them in recent years.
I am curious to see if broader Wi-Fi availability - along with the TSA's battery restrictions - will encourage the airlines (and hopefully, airports) to increase the number of power outlets available, especially for aircraft used for long-haul.
It is even worse that they do not include their WiFi hotspots as part of their cellular data plan subscriptions.
I think that you are saying that Apple could offer the iPhone in new markets without signing a carrier for those markets. I disagree. Apple will not devalue the the deals they have made with their existing carriers by offering the iPhone unlocked in new markets. At least not for the near-future.
The problem is that no one except Apple or its channel partners can confirm or deny the existence of excess inventories. All the analysts in the world can jump on this but they are just giving it their best shot, although I will agree that their guesses can certainly move a stock price.If 512k channel inventory is normal, this should have already been factored into the stock analysts' projections - Apple's 4-5 weeks inventory has long been known as a target. You don't see...
And we have no way of knowing if the $200 price drop was planned or in response to below-target sales. Since Apple met its goal of 1M iPhones sold within days of dropping the price, I am guessing it was a planned price drop rather than a response. This should really piss off the people who feel that Apple gouged them with the initial price. As far as analysts doubting Apple making its very public 10M unit projection, oh well. I have not seen Apple backing away from this...
The number of units in the channel is only an issue if it exceeds the channel partner's regular stocking levels. If I had to guess, I suspect that Carphone Warehouse, in particular, has excess inventory. Apple stated that their own inventories were in line and there is nothing in ATT's SEC filing that draws any attention to large unsold iPhone inventories - something that, as physguy suggested, would be material in ATT's SEC filing. This has nothing to do with gray market...
The following article considers a number of issues looking forward to 2008 cell phone sales in general:http://www.technewsworld.com/story/wireless/61389.htmlSeveral possible explanations are offered in the middle of the article:In particular, they cover the discrepancy that exist between units sold and activations at the end of the article:I am not sure why you consider sales of 2.3M iPhones "not good" - especially considering it was sold in a total of only four countries...