or Connect

Posts by nagromme

I'm 100% behind the same causes as Greenpeace, and will even begrudgingly admit the effectiveness--even necessity--of publicity stunts when trying to foster change that benefits us all. Obviously you HAVE to burn some carbon on the road to lower emissions. But even I know a giant gasbag when I see one.
I bet Samsung didn't know whether this would be a joke or a REAL "see if it sticks to the wall" product until AFTER the world's reaction. They weren't sure, and so they chose this date. And waited. Now they can let it stand as a joke and bury the prototypes.
I have spent SO much less on my mid-to-high-end Macs than my "bargain hunting" PC friends, who buy more of them (a.k.a.replace them sooner), get little/no resale value, and burn money on support/virus cleaning when their own middle-of-the-road tech skills are defeated. And all the while they suffer through with a poor experience, unreliability, and cheap, cracked, plastic cases. Penny wise, pound foolish. Of course, Macs having longer usable lives means Apple sells fewer,...
MacBook Air? No. Battery life and weight on the Air is already terrific, and performance has been improving. Why harm performance by going to ARM, around the same timeframe as MB Airs NEED more performance due to going retina (whenever that happens)? And your Intel software would no longer run. And workarounds would involve major work for developers, and fat binaries what waste expensive SSD space. So it would mean MASSIVE fragmentation for developers, and massive...
Lawyers are expensive%u2014just not as expensive as Apple-style innovation. (Yes, Samsung's "throw it all at the wall and see what sticks as an immediate sales booster" method of innovation IS still innovation. Just not the kind I'd prefer to be on the receiving end of.)
It wouldn't make much sense for DED to make these changes on Wikipedia instead of writing this article. A) He's a professional writer. Spending tons of time researching and writing for a volunteer project instead of for his employers/clients (like AppleInsider) is not the path to putting food on the table! B) Any changes made to Wikipedia would simply be deleted anyway. Possibly with Samsung writing a check (they've been busted at other deceptive astroturfing) or more...
Kudos to AI on a very specific and accurate headline. Beats link bait any day! Well-written and not sensational.
I love Oculus and I hate Facebook (the service more than the company), but even I don't see much downside here. Money = good! It helps one of my favorite technologies take off. They're not shutting the company down, so I don't see a need to panic.
This makes no sense to me--but as long as Oculus stays separate from any Facebook account/login nonsense, I'm happy to see an awesome tech get more funding! I'm cautiously optimistic. The best thing: this is one MORE reason (after Carmack and Sony) for the public to realize that VR tech is "for real" this time. Simon Says! I don't see how a Facebook account could be involved/required anyway, so I'm not too worried. The Rift is hardware, with support from gaming middleware...
There are a few neat things there for sure. The trouble is getting new hardware features supported by Android app developers, since the fragmented OS and fragmented hardware are cobbled together by so many different parties with different interests. That "dot display" is ridiculous... and I'm not ashamed to say I WANT IT!