or Connect

Posts by nagromme

HP, you promised me a hideous blue-gray iPod. You did not deliver. I will not fall for your hollow promises again!
I'll take speed, accurate colors and better sunlight visibility, over garish OLED colors and perfect blacks that never matter for readability and can only be seen in dim light
Classic Mac OS, OS 9 and prior, had viruses. The real deal, spreading on their own. The ones my workplace ran into were spread by CD and floppy.   Mac OS X is based on NeXT's OS (UNIX), and has been around for a decade and a half. Classic Mac OS is irrelevant to any present-day discussion.   Claims that Macs have no successful self-spreading malware (call it "worm," or "virus") in the real world (occasionally in a lab, or small environment, yes) are true, IF you limit...
So, I'm trying to remember... was DRM the music labels' demand, or Apple's demand? Hmmm... oh, right! Apple opposed DRM and the music labels demanded it! Until they finally gave in (first to Amazon, to snub Apple, and then they let Apple escape the DRM too). I'm glad Apple won and we have DRM-free music now. Tracks from iTunes will play on anything that handles an MP4.
I thought: finally, the first real OS X worm! It spreads on its own! Except... the article says nothing about how it gets on your machine. A "worm" is SELF-spreading malware. IF this just a trojan--(essentially, simply a lie--which every OS will always be vulnerable to)—then this is just the latest Mac FUD False Alarm. In which case, naming the trojan with "worm" in the name does not a worm make. I could release a word processor called "WormWrite" but that wouldn't mean...
I like how the media nearly ignores REAL Apple failings (bugs)--it reports them, but they get no lasting attention beyond a few tech-niche blogs and podcasts. But fictions like "iPhones bend in your pocket!!!1!" and "celebrity photos stolen from Android phones are still Apple's fault!!" echo forever and seep into the public consciousness... That said, I'm not sure these recent bugs are TRULY on some whole other level from what other companies--and Apple themselves--have...
And then we have Samsung (repeatedly, even after being caught) rigging their devices to deliver false benchmark results when tested! And sustained performance over time, which I never thought about until Apple's graph, is a real thing too, but rarely published in benchmarks.
Ah, don't worry about it. Android phones added together outsell iPhones, and not only does Android have lots of malware and keyloggers available, but only a small fraction of Android users have the benefit of the latest OS version anyway
I hadn't used Windows 8 until installing it on my Mac Pro. I kind of assumed Windows would at least be "pretty good" by now. WHAT A MESS! So my messed-up details and pain points that cannot be believed. It's not even the same class of product as OS X. And my disc came with an invalid registration code printed BY Microsoft right on it! I can only hope that some backsliding toward older Windows versions will help. It's good that they're open to that. Right now it's Explore...
But is it Pentile?