or Connect

Posts by nagromme

DeWitt's article is worth a read--I had no idea how absurd this was. http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2014/01/15/apple-ftc-kid-apps/ Note the last paragraph about law firm QE: "Fun fact: Before she was appointed to the FTC, Chairwoman Ramirez was a partner in the Los Angeles office of Quinn Emanuel Urquhart & Sullivan." Rattyuk's post on the article explains that: "Let's spell it out. QE are both Samsung and Google's lawyers used extensively against Apple." So the FTC...
The GB obviously includes WiFi or something is screwy. (And if actual usage matters, rather than the carriers, then looking at ALL mobile device data makes sense--even if you're at a hotspot.) I have the pro-Google headline all worked out for the media to use: "Dark Clouds Over Cupertino: Twice as Many Android Handset Makers as iPhone Makers Gain Users."
Yet another "wireless" solution... that still has a big 'ol WIRE! At least you can theoretically hide the wire in this case. But what does it really save you? The labor of plugging/unplugging? That's worth something to me--but not much.
Average RATINGS have equalized... and we're supposed to take that to mean something about quality? In other words, 4 stars on the App Store means exactly the same thing as 4 stars on Google Play, EVEN when the apps in question are entirely different? And this star number, furthermore, is a clear indicator of "quality" and "experience"? That's so absurd that even Piper Jaffray must know it. They don't even believe their own report. They can't possibly.
Android is what embedded Linux used to be: the starting point for building the brains of all kinds of devices. It's great to have for that purpose, and I expect to be using tons of "Android" devices in future whether I know it or not. Some will be well-designed. That doesn't mean all those devices are "Android" in the sense any user or developer cares about, and I don't see this being much better in that regard. In fact, I expect the ideal system in future will be an...
Now we need the White Knights to charge in: the people who secretly have NO intention of owning a pro workstation themselves--much less attaching multiple external enclosures to it--but who rush in bravely to save real pros from themselves, and warn them of how "messy" it will look to have an "overpriced" 6-inch cylinder standing next to a non-cylindrical PCI box, all of which together is still smaller, quieter and more flexible than the old towers--which had plenty of...
So, for each device they sold they lost over $1000. Anyone who bought one should feel ashamed to be kicking this tech pioneer when they're down! (iSupply will probably find the internals are made out of solid saffron or something.)
All those configurations are awesome. But in practice, you can't actually get them all, because Apple only made around 182 Mac Pros. :o
 I bet there's some misleading sense in which something vaguely like that could be said and be true in an unimportant way. I'd love to see the evidence about what Google was REALLY doing with Touch before they suddenly went so closely iPhone-like. Is that something that gets repeated with reliable links or screenshots, or just Fox News-style myth that gets repeated on forums? I've heard that too, but if I ever saw a link it made no impression on me--and I'll immediately...
Inexcusable bad engineering by Apple: "hardware interlock" should be so simple it's immune from software. Which it could easily be. And Apple misled buyers into thinking it WAS that simple. I'm 99% certain that kind of clear statement was made prior to 2008. The misleading statement could be an honest (but VERY serious) mistake. The bad engineering is just unacceptable, and goes beyond a "mistake"--it could only come from conscious decision-making in the design. Happily...