or Connect

Posts by nagromme

I like how the media nearly ignores REAL Apple failings (bugs)--it reports them, but they get no lasting attention beyond a few tech-niche blogs and podcasts. But fictions like "iPhones bend in your pocket!!!1!" and "celebrity photos stolen from Android phones are still Apple's fault!!" echo forever and seep into the public consciousness... That said, I'm not sure these recent bugs are TRULY on some whole other level from what other companies--and Apple themselves--have...
And then we have Samsung (repeatedly, even after being caught) rigging their devices to deliver false benchmark results when tested! And sustained performance over time, which I never thought about until Apple's graph, is a real thing too, but rarely published in benchmarks.
Ah, don't worry about it. Android phones added together outsell iPhones, and not only does Android have lots of malware and keyloggers available, but only a small fraction of Android users have the benefit of the latest OS version anyway
I hadn't used Windows 8 until installing it on my Mac Pro. I kind of assumed Windows would at least be "pretty good" by now. WHAT A MESS! So my messed-up details and pain points that cannot be believed. It's not even the same class of product as OS X. And my disc came with an invalid registration code printed BY Microsoft right on it! I can only hope that some backsliding toward older Windows versions will help. It's good that they're open to that. Right now it's Explore...
But is it Pentile?
Considering my 2-year-old iPhone 5 still feels fast, the 5S remains a great option for many people. I'm going big (6 ) just to try it out, but I doubt we've seen the last 4" iPhone from Apple. They'll observe what people want, and if they still want 4", they'll get it. This year didn't see a whole new one (no need yet) but I believe entirely new 4" iPhones will keep appearing in future years. I will miss one-handed use. But you can still do a lot one-handed. Even on the...
Oh no! I can only hang a 90 pound weight from my iPhone 6 Plus! I wish I had chosen that Sumsung, because the weight I wanted to hang is heavier than 90 pounds! Meanwhile there are a zillion other ways to apply stress and damage to a phone. Some of them will benefit from non-crackable metal. Almost ALL of them worry more than applying a bend equal to my own weight! And repeating the same test will vary. How widely? You'd need to break a LOT of each phone to give that...
Should be pro-rated for amount of time in the foreground--but you have a sense of that anyway.
We would all be safer if the government inspected our homes twice daily and made notes on suspicious behavior. That WOULD prevent some murders--including murders of children. I'd hate to have to tell people "we couldn't save that kid" because the police were not able to search all homes daily. Build a case against criminals. Want to bug their house? Get a warrant. Want to see their financial records? Get a warrant. The fact that privacy is sometimes possible doesn't mean...
I basically never let my battery run out fully* so this setting is irrelevant UNTIL it gets stolen. So yes, I'll be using this feature! (* Unless I'm calibrating it. Which I'm glad I just did: I thought my 2-year-old iPhone 5's battery was noticeably weaker than when I bought it, and then I tried to run it down... it ran for AGES at 5%, making phone calls and downloads and even sitting with the lamp on! Turns out my battery life is much better than I thought, but the %...