or Connect

Posts by nagromme

I was able to activate Apple Pay with no extra verifcation or steps at all. It was very easy--but since you only activate a card ONCE, I think the bank should definitely require more verification. It's not that hard to answer a call or something. Anyway, glad to finally have my little local bank (or at least, their credit card partner) on board with Apple Pay. Used it for the first time this weekend, and it's all it's cracked up to be!
Apple was able to do NFC right, privately and securely and easily, and make it take off. I don't think even Apple could make QR code payments a success!
Decent subs... not so sure how I feel about the fake dogskin tabletops...
"German investment firm Berenberg predicts continued success for Apple; and therefore pretends to predict doom to manipulate the price in the short term"
You can be sure the U.S. has made multiple efforts towards that--and towards simply keeping back doors for future use. I agree they have probably failed in Apple's case. But is "probably" good enough for a foreign government? I'm appalled by China's Internet policies, but it's also hard not to see a concern re any US or UK company.Surely people can see that our own government shares at least SOME of the blame here.
The US government has done their utmost to destroy the security and privacy reputations of US tech firms.
I wouldn't bother myself (and I like my parallax!) but I'll admit, it's a clever hack!
This gets them a (soon to be obsolete) data transmission technology. Now all they need are: - A biometric technology - A secure enclave - A tokenization technology - User-facing software technology If they get all that together, and it works AS well as Apple Pay (speed, convenience, security), they've really got something! Then they can switch to NFC later.
My (small) bank isn't listed, but their credit card partner IS LISTED. Check the fine print on the back of your card--it may be supported after all! (My bank's CC partner actually has two different names, stated in two different places on the back of the card.) My card was rejected, but I'll try again later today/tomorrow if it's only just rolling out. I was able to get almost to the end of the process, which wasn't true previously.
 You misunderstand the article. Apple DOES give you the choice. By default, you have privacy from the government. Have a business rival with a powerful friend? Too bad--she can bypass normal warrants and courts, and ignore the Constitution—but she still can't get your private photos. Have a charity that frightens some big business? Well, they can classify you as a terrorist, but they can't read your iMessages to your children. If you want to CHOOSE not to have privacy, you...