or Connect

Posts by nagromme

That doesn’t let Path off the hook—it makes Facebook a problem too!Thank goodness for whistleblowers and hackers, finding these things out. No Path for me—the company is disreputable even if they change certain things just because they got caught. And although I do have a Facebook account, I don’t stay logged in. So those Like buttons can’t track me.EDIT: I stand corrected. Facebook can track you even when logged out, but they “say” they don’t keep most of the data they...
First developers are “forced” to have descriptions and screenshots for the store, now they’re “forced” to make them the right size! I wish Apple were more Open, and would let developers have a 3x3 pixel image, an image that shows an entirely different app, or a 24MB TIFF of their cat.
Looking at the holiday quarter, which normally spikes sales of all kinds of products including electronics, I don’t think Samsung was the hot Christmas gift!I use Bing for the same reason (not quite as good as Google used to be, but close, and about equal to how Google is now). But DuckDuckGo does have some options for appearing in your browser’s default search bar (on Mac/PC, not iDevices sadly). They’re on the bottom-right of DuckDuckGo’s home page. I haven’t tried those...
Many layers of hilarious absurdity... but just to grab a few: •*An “apology” for buying the trademark from the parent company "Proview Electronics" and not ALSO buying it from the subsidiary "Proview Technology”? If there’s truly some legal reason to buy the name twice from the same company, how did the parent company not make that clear at the start, and why is this labyrinthine technicality a matter for an "apology"? • Did Proview trademark iPad after (and because...
The shocking news would be if Apple hadn’t been running various form of OS X on Arm for over 5 years already; a) for iOS, which was originally referred to as OS X when the iPhone was announced, and which clearly is a variation of OS X regardless of name; and b) because Apple likes to keep all options open to be ready for any future (e.g. Intel) and they have the R&D capability to keep lots of back-burner projects going even if no concrete plans ever come to pass. Still...
DRYPhone is a better name anyway... otherwise you have a waterproofing product with “DRIP” in the name!
Remember the Android-apologist talking point? “But the iPhone 4S is only new on the INSIDE!”I assume they are now surprised that the iPhone 3G/3GS styling from FOUR YEARS AGO THIS JULY, with next to no marketing, outsold every Android device! No wonder Samsung is now (re)copying that old design...My thoughts exactly when I saw those numbers: people who never had a smartphone and don’t know any better find that even an iPhone-knockoff is pretty amazing compare to a 1990s...
It’s astonishing that the THIRD iPad can arrive and still not one company can offer anything remotely able to compete with Apple’s platform. One might be dirt cheap, one might have some certain nifty-sounding tech-spec, one might be extra small if that’s your thing.... None have any significant selection of best-quality apps. I once thought that Android would be taken and modified by some other big company into some entirely new thing that would hardly even be Android...
These problems are real, and they can be addressed, and they NEED to be addressed (better), and Apple hasn’t solved them yet. Apple never pretended to, and nobody inside or outside Apple thinks they have. What Apple does have is a true commitment (not PR) on these problems, and a record of improvement. It’s not enough of course, and CNN’s ad-baiting may have one good side-effect if it pushes for change faster. Or, CNN’s ad-baiting could simply let all the non-Apple...
I’m sure some people would rather Apple charged pro-level bucks for the iBooks Author tool, and then didn’t demand any cut of sales. But that’s not how Apple chose to charge for this, so those people will have to look at other tools... or just use iBooks Author for free but not use the .ibooks format. Then they can sell any way they like.