or Connect

Posts by nagromme

Great buy! 13” seems too big to me now that I’m spoiled by an 11”, but extra real estate has its uses. And the current Airs are durable. I know someone—let’s call him “Bagromme”— who dropped his air corner-first onto hardwood. The only damage was a deep dent... to the hardwood. Whereas I’ve seen plastic laptops crack under far less abuse. If I were a school, I’d want metal!It’s their oft-overlooked buildings & grounds people. Outstanding, efficient work.
I wish Apple would catch these offenders automatically—let the arms race begin!--but neither Apple nor Google does so at present. At the same time, Apple never promised to make this abuse impossible: their policy is simply to disallow it, but it must first be caught.This isn’t the first nor last instance, just a high profile one.I do think they deserved to be kicked off the App Store even AFTER this fix. That "feels" fair! However, any developer might make a mistake, so...
That would be the perfect gesture if they had ACCIDENTALLY collected the data and never realized it was happening. But this “mistake” was not some accident or technical glitch, and just because they chose the right PR move after they got busted, that doesn’t make them a company I can trust.
18 months is an odd timeframe to discuss, with 2-year contracts being the norm in the US. 18 months (no penalty) or 12 months (penalty, but hey, new phone!) seem like the most interesting timeframes to single out.
A worthy cause. I only hope this action spurs improvement from all the companies (i.e., every other electronics company) that are worse than Apple and take these matters less seriously than Apple does!
That doesn’t let Path off the hook—it makes Facebook a problem too!Thank goodness for whistleblowers and hackers, finding these things out. No Path for me—the company is disreputable even if they change certain things just because they got caught. And although I do have a Facebook account, I don’t stay logged in. So those Like buttons can’t track me.EDIT: I stand corrected. Facebook can track you even when logged out, but they “say” they don’t keep most of the data they...
First developers are “forced” to have descriptions and screenshots for the store, now they’re “forced” to make them the right size! I wish Apple were more Open, and would let developers have a 3x3 pixel image, an image that shows an entirely different app, or a 24MB TIFF of their cat.
Looking at the holiday quarter, which normally spikes sales of all kinds of products including electronics, I don’t think Samsung was the hot Christmas gift!I use Bing for the same reason (not quite as good as Google used to be, but close, and about equal to how Google is now). But DuckDuckGo does have some options for appearing in your browser’s default search bar (on Mac/PC, not iDevices sadly). They’re on the bottom-right of DuckDuckGo’s home page. I haven’t tried those...
Many layers of hilarious absurdity... but just to grab a few: •*An “apology” for buying the trademark from the parent company "Proview Electronics" and not ALSO buying it from the subsidiary "Proview Technology”? If there’s truly some legal reason to buy the name twice from the same company, how did the parent company not make that clear at the start, and why is this labyrinthine technicality a matter for an "apology"? • Did Proview trademark iPad after (and because...
The shocking news would be if Apple hadn’t been running various form of OS X on Arm for over 5 years already; a) for iOS, which was originally referred to as OS X when the iPhone was announced, and which clearly is a variation of OS X regardless of name; and b) because Apple likes to keep all options open to be ready for any future (e.g. Intel) and they have the R&D capability to keep lots of back-burner projects going even if no concrete plans ever come to pass. Still...