or Connect

Posts by nagromme

This is precisely the sort of thing we need to know. Do people want computers that can be fitted nasally?
For certain traditional (and still very fun) kinds of games, having those controls permanently attached would be great! Still, how good is it as a phone, web-browser, music store, GPS, camera, and non-game app platform? Because if it falls short in those areas, you’d have to carry one AND a phone—or one and a phone and an iPod touch and a camera and a navigator! Yikes. The game device you leave at home is useless when you’re not at home. For something that exists for...
It’s very much in Samsung’s best interests to be able to clone Apple (and other) designs freely, with Apple (and others) convinced that Samsung should be left alone to get away with it. It’s very much in Apple’s interest to let Samsung (and others) know that either they can’t get away with such blatant copying, or at least that Apple won’t stand still and let it be easy. What if Samsung did not copy Apple, but instead innovated, like Microsoft has recently done and some...
The many things people lump together as “the” Android market/user base/etc. are often misleading! And still true in some sense, if you find it interesting to consider all the things out there derived from Android* (like the Fire and various non-standard Asian versions; platforms that don’t run Android market apps). But a bunch of devices that aren’t compatible with each other, from totally different companies, do not make a “platform” in the way iOS is. * Actually you...
Ah. Yes. The vital difference between Apple’s success and RIM’s failure isn’t the products, but rather the fact that Apple makes better ads, fooling millions into buying the same quality of experience RIM offers. Good thing RIM has realized that—now they have a simple road to future success!
It can’t output to AirPlay yet, but I assume it can still output (real output, not just mirroring) via a cable?
Good question. It would be absurd to exclude ad revenue, but I’d like them to make that explicit.Still, even Google makes twice as much ad revenue on iOS as on Android*, and there’s nothing about iOS that makes an ad-supported model difficult, so ads are not a reason for a developer to deploy to Android.* Now that’s from search usage. But with more great apps on iOS than Android, and an easier-to-use OS and app market, I’m certain more iOS users use (not just download and...
As with everything Apple does (or buys, or in any ways sees the importance of and makes simple/effective)... first it’s “worthless” and then the same people who said that get to work copying it! (Or at least make some halfway attempt—since they think a bullet point is worth more than real usability!--while Apple’s version keeps on improving and staying ahead.)
When I finish my iOS game, Android is not a priority; but I might well give it a shot one day, after the game is established on iOS and I have time to kill. As a developer, my hesitation is more than just the lack of profit in supporting Android: • Fragmentation: how many of my users are really on the latest Android version? Very few are even ABLE to run it at any given time, and fewer still actually do so. So my game must be hobbled by supporting old OS’s, far more than...
By far, most of Google’s mobile ad revenue comes from iOS. iAd or no iAd, there is no evidence here of developers abandoning iOS And yet Apple is sued by others more than they sue. There was a clear diagram of this a few months back. The game exists, and Apple can’t choose not to play.Meanwhile look what Apple has done for open, cross-platform, standards-based mobile AND desktop app development (a.k.a. web apps): they made it their first iOS development platform and then...