or Connect

Posts by coffeetime

So The One will visit The Man. One massive ego meets another. What, he wants Apple to come up with some sort of iHope&Change? November 2012 can't get here soon enough!
"The company currently operates 317 stores, 84 of which are outside the US." Er, if by "currently" you mean at the of the fiscal quarter, you are correct. If "currently" includes today, that number sits at 319.
I know it sounds all evil and everything, but if I choose to be a consumer of ad-supported apps, music, TV shows and what-have-you, I'd love it if I could better match things that I might remotely be interested in compared with the shotgun approach we are exposed to today. I don't need boner pills, my post-menopausal wife doesn't need sanitary napkins or tampons, and neither of us need dog food, just to name a few items.
Have a first-gen MacBook 13" loaded with the full 2GB of RAM and a 250GB HD, and I used to run Microsoft Office v.X (which ran under Rosetta). When I updated to Snow Leopard, Office and darn near every other app I had that ran under Rosetta started crashing all open apps and relaunching the Finder - a bug that Apple fixed a few months later, but because my finances pretty much live and die with Excel, I bit the bullet and upgraded to Microsoft Office 2008. All I can say...
I think that AI got their story from MarketWatch: "SAN FRANCISCO (MarketWatch) -- Apple Inc. (AAPL 265.40, -1.07, -0.40%) became the second-largest company, in terms of market capitalization, on the S&P 500 (SPX 1,209, +2.74, +0.23%) Thursday, trailing only Exxon Mobil (XOM 68.50, -0.06, -0.09%) , according to Standard & Poor's index services unit. The S&P 500 is float-adjusted, so it doesn't use the full market basis for Microsoft. Apple's float-adjusted market cap...
Yeah, I read that news story, but then I went to my Schwab investment page and looked up both companies, and it showed that AAPL was at 241.6B while MSFT was at 276.0B. What am I missing?
What about the argument that even if Flash were allowed on the iPad (and iPhone / iPod touch), that it might in many cases offer a "not what the designer intended" experience since there are no mouse-overs to trigger actions like there are with a typical computer and mouse cursor?
Is anyone really expecting all that much public interest in a product that 1) has yet to ship, and 2) has yet to be advertised? C'mon. We had a friend over yesterday to watch the Superbowl, and I asked him if he heard about the iPad. Yeah, he heard of it, but seemed pretty ambivalent towards it. Then I showed him the short video clip posted on Apple's webpage. It blew him away. Take any current poll about the iPad's popularity with a large grain of salt.
When Apple changed the name of their portable line from PowerBook to MacBook, I wasn't all that thrilled about it, but looking back, it made a lot of sense (seeing that Apple dropped the old PowerPC chip in favor of Intel). iPad? It really is the only name that makes any sense, if you think about it. iSlate? Nah. iPad will grow on folks over time.
The Goracle (undoubtedly while private-jetting back to his 10,000 sq ft mansion from some GW conference overseas) probably was threatening to resign from Apple's board, and they couldn't have, you know, the father of the internet and all, do that. Just like our so-called "health care crisis," so many people are simply sheep willing to be led to and fro by the con man of the hour.