or Connect

Posts by mcarling

I think Apple may have been breaking even on the Apple TV two years ago, when it was last updated, but now they are probably earning profit on each sale due to lower component costs and a fully developed production capability. If Apple keep the $99 when they update the Apple TV with an A6 or A7, 1GB of DRAM, 16GB or 32GB of flash, 802.11ac Wifi, and Gigabit Ethernet in order to support an App Store (including games) and 4K movies, then I believe Apple would be struggling...
Apple might do well to surprise announce the 4th generation Apple TV the day before Amazon's announcement.
 Yes.  Airline seats typically last about four to six years, then the whole cabin gets torn out and replaced.  Seat cushions are replaced as needed.
 The safety demonstration is mandatory, however, it does not have to include a video presentation.  Many airlines still do their safety demonstrations without a video.  Many airlines have no video entertainment system onboard.
 There is no way airlines are going back to projectors and cabin screens.  iPad rental is much more likely. Some airlines offer AC power, some offer USB power, some offer both.  Nonsense.  A faraday absorbs RF.  It does not reflect it.
 The weight of the in-seat entertainment systems requires a lot of fuel to fly around.  I'm willing to bet that United will strip out all the in-seat video, at least from Economy and Business classes (it might possibly remain in First class) at the same time that they install the streaming system. I agree with the other posters that in-seat power is both important and easy to provide.
A five month wait from announcement to shipping might be plausible if this were the first Apple TV, but it's not. Such a delay following announcement would dry up sales of the current 3rd generation Apple TV, which would make no sense. It's called the Osborne Effect. There is simply no reason to announce an update before it will be ready to ship. The Mac Pro was an exception because sales of the old model had already dried up and were actually banned in the EU.
It seems more likely that Apple are testing two sizes and will choose one of them to put into production.  If Apple will have two sizes of iPhones, the smaller size would almost certainly be the current size.   I could imagine the lineup a year from now being iPhone 6, 5s, and 5.  They might keep the iPhone 4 in production for poorer countries like India.
I hope this finally supports scalable resolutions, including HiDPI, on external 4K displays.  Has anyone here tried?
There are still puzzling gaps where Apple already should have Apple Stores: Singapore and Tel Aviv are two of the most obvious.