or Connect

Posts by mcarling

What you seem to be missing is software. People don't buy a Mac Pro rather than a PeeCee just because they like Apple hardware. People buy Macs because they want OSX and the software solutions which it provides. If the software is sufficiently better, the hardware doesn't need to be the cheapest.There are some computational applications for which Thunderbolt has ample bandwidth and the tighter integration of a Thunderbolt connection may offer advantages over an Ethernet...
It looks like you may have missed the point. Apple do not need to produce specialized hardware. All Apple need to do beyond the current Thunderbolt and OpenCL support is provide some addition software, as Marvin has specified above. Third-party hardware manufacturers would then produce the Thunderbolt accessory hardware desired by the market. Once the solution is in place for rendering, third-party software developers would exploit it for other applications. The...
Of course I don't use MS Windows. I didn't write that it takes all night. It takes long enough that I'm not willing to wait for it, so I let it run at night. Overnight is long enough, whether using the cable or Wifi.Is the current connector faster than USB 2.0? I'm skeptical that USB 2.0 can keep up with the flash chips.
There is nothing in US or EU anti-trust law which can reasonably be construed as requiring Intel to support PCI forever.
I buy a new iPhone and a new iPad every year. I want Apple to replace the current connector with one supporting Thunderbolt because now syncing a new 64GB device (whether by Wifi or the current wired connector) is so slow that I let it run overnight.
Good point.Now that Wifi syncing is supported, I never connect my iOS devices to my laptop anymore, so I think it's safe to drop the USB syncing capability.
You might get your wish. Thunderbolt is a strategic technology for Apple. If Apple switch from USB to Thunderbolt for wired syncing, it will provide further motivation for iOS device owners to replace their PeeCees with Macs. Those without Thunderbolt-equipped computers would still be able to use slow wireless syncing.
If that's true, I suspect that Intel may have plans to end-of-life PCI -- at least PCI as we know it.I agree that 32GB is decent (more than decent). However, there are dynamic modeling applications which need more than 32GB of RAM. There are probably other applications which need more than 32GB of RAM.
I expect all Mac laptops introduced in 2012 to come standard with 4GB of RAM directly on the motherboard using 2Gbit chips and most of them to offer an 8GB BTO option using 4Gbit chips. I think we'll probably have to wait until 2013 for 8Gb DRAM chips and the option of 16MB on the motherboard -- though it's possible that Apple might offer 8GB standard and a 16GB BTO option on the 17" model by using 32 rather than 16 memory chips.I don't see anyone complaining anymore...
This is one of the reasons why I believe few Mac Pro customers are buying them to get flexible storage. I believe the overwhelming majority of Mac Pro customers are buying them for CPU/GPU performance and the ability to address more RAM than an iMac or Mac Mini can address. A believe a Mac with the expansion of the Mac Mini (plus one more Thunderbolt port) and the performance of an updated Mac Pro could be priced attractively and sell well. Anyone serious about storage...