or Connect

Posts by mcarling

Those are not beta versions. Those are alpha versions. The difference is that they have not been released outside Apple.
It seems like most users can't wait to upgrade to Apple Maps, despite the loud complaints of a few users.
Given how fractured the worldwide LTE market is these days, with different chips needed for different markets, I think this is a smart move on Apple's part.  Customer's who need an integrated cellular capability can buy the 9.7inch iPad.  Waiting a year before introducing cellular data to the iPad Mini also allows Apple to introduce LTE to the 9.7inch iPad first, which is appropriate for the high end.
The old (Google-based) Maps app had a very tiny cache for maps data -- at least 10x too small.  The new Maps app seems to have no map data cache at all.
If I could get Apple to fix only one problem in Maps, it would be the lack of map data caching.  Many people need to rely on maps when they either have no Internet connection or when the only possible Internet connection involved expensive data roaming.  It's important to be able to load a route in advance, when one has a Wifi connection, and have Maps cache all the relevant map data.
My biggest problem with both the old Google Maps and the new Apple Maps is that neither caches enough map data. Both apps seem to have presumed that everyone will always have an Internet connection with free data. The reality is that people drive in places without cellular data service and in places where data roaming is expensive. The cache size should be increased by a factor of about ten i.e. one order of magnitude.
For me, so far, Apple Maps have been working better than Google Maps, with few cartographic errors. Your mileage may vary.
The FBI has denied it, but the FBI has not refuted anything.  To refute the claims, the FBI would need evidence showing that the claims are false.  The FBI seems to have no such evidence.
Yields will improve such that Apple will be able to offer a 17" rMBP probably in 2013 or, at the latest, in 2014.  The ability to offer one doesn't guarantee that they will, but the current inability to offer one probably explains why Apple dropped the 17" model from the line.
Where do you get this???   The Mini is one of the best selling desktops not just right now, but in the history of computing.  The reason the Mini sells so very well is because it does meet the requirements of common desktop users.