or Connect

Posts by mcarling

Compared to a 13" Retina MacBook Air, the 13" Retina MacBook Pro will have a much faster processor, probably 16GB (by then) versus 8GB of RAM, more ports, and longer battery life.
I used to the think there was a good chance that Apple would offer a 15" MacBook Air.  However, the release of the thin and light Retina MacBook Pro has dashed any such hopes.   On the other hand, the Retina MacBook Air is just a question of timing and will depend primarily on yields.  My guess is that, with the introduction of Haswell processors, Apple will drop the old heavy and thick MacBook Pro with optical brick and offer the MacBook Air with a choice of the current...
I'm completely happy with my Apple TV. I'm not sure what there is to improve, other than perhaps lowering the production cost. The 4.22 mm reduction in size might allow for smaller packaging and a reduction in shipping costs. Anyway, I can't see any reason to replace the Apple TV I already have.
Disgraceful! Tim Cook should have been first runner up after Malala Yousafzai. Morsi is a brutal thuggish dictator.
Those are not beta versions. Those are alpha versions. The difference is that they have not been released outside Apple.
It seems like most users can't wait to upgrade to Apple Maps, despite the loud complaints of a few users.
Given how fractured the worldwide LTE market is these days, with different chips needed for different markets, I think this is a smart move on Apple's part.  Customer's who need an integrated cellular capability can buy the 9.7inch iPad.  Waiting a year before introducing cellular data to the iPad Mini also allows Apple to introduce LTE to the 9.7inch iPad first, which is appropriate for the high end.
The old (Google-based) Maps app had a very tiny cache for maps data -- at least 10x too small.  The new Maps app seems to have no map data cache at all.
If I could get Apple to fix only one problem in Maps, it would be the lack of map data caching.  Many people need to rely on maps when they either have no Internet connection or when the only possible Internet connection involved expensive data roaming.  It's important to be able to load a route in advance, when one has a Wifi connection, and have Maps cache all the relevant map data.
My biggest problem with both the old Google Maps and the new Apple Maps is that neither caches enough map data. Both apps seem to have presumed that everyone will always have an Internet connection with free data. The reality is that people drive in places without cellular data service and in places where data roaming is expensive. The cache size should be increased by a factor of about ten i.e. one order of magnitude.