or Connect

Posts by mcarling

The FBI has denied it, but the FBI has not refuted anything.  To refute the claims, the FBI would need evidence showing that the claims are false.  The FBI seems to have no such evidence.
Yields will improve such that Apple will be able to offer a 17" rMBP probably in 2013 or, at the latest, in 2014.  The ability to offer one doesn't guarantee that they will, but the current inability to offer one probably explains why Apple dropped the 17" model from the line.
Where do you get this???   The Mini is one of the best selling desktops not just right now, but in the history of computing.  The reason the Mini sells so very well is because it does meet the requirements of common desktop users.
That's not even a slap on the wrist.  It's more like the FTC blew Google a kiss to the wrist.
Sigh...  You hit the nail on the head regarding the Osborne Effect, then add this gratuitous silliness.  Sure, technically, there is a possibility that the iPhone, iPad, and Mac are dead so that Apple can concentrate on iPods.  However, like the dead Mini idea, the possibility is so remote that's silly to bring it up.  The Mac Mini will be dead when either the Mac is dead or desktops are dead.  Apple will not kill the Mini just because it doesn't meet the needs of one...
This story has an extremely misleading introduction.  Apple are not "partly" to blame.  Apple are entirely to blame.   When the hacker was unable to answer the security questions, the tech support employee should have put the hacker on hold, phoned Mat Honan's iPhone, and asked if he had just phoned Apple tech support to change his iCloud password.
I would rather have last year's Mini.
No, I mean people who are evidently happy to buy a MacBook Pro with 4GB (expandable to 8GB) but claim that they would never buy any computer with RAM soldered directly to the motherboard -- even though 16GB models are available.  The "repairability" issue seems overstated to me.
I don't believe yields for Retina Displays will improve fast enough for a Retina iMac to be possible in 2012.  The only additional Retina Mac I expect in 2012 is the 13" MacBook Pro.  All the other Macs will probably have to wait for 2013 to get Retina Displays.
I'm amused by the posters over the last year who are quite willing to buy a machine with 4GB of RAM expandable to 8GB maximum but who swear they would never buy a machine with 16GB that is not expandable.