or Connect

Posts by mcarling

See above.  Price, performance, reliability, and space.     Do you want the RAM soldered to the motherboard in your iPhone?
Switching from SO-DIMMs to directly soldered DRAM means fewer components and, more important perhaps, fewer manufacturing steps.  These improve both price and reliability.  Future JEDEC specs will offer higher bandwidth and lower latency by requiring direct soldering of DRAM chips onto the same board as the CPU.  The difference in space is negligible compared to the advancements in integration.  Just dropping FireWire support probably frees up enough marginal space on the...
We've been over this before.  The advantages of soldered RAM are: price, performance, reliability, and space.  I grant that space is less of a constraint in the Mini compared to the MacBooks.     The rMBP does not have SO-DIMMs soldered to the motherboard.  Take a look at the motherboard of a Mini.  The connector for the SO-DIMMs takes up nearly as much space as 16 DRAM chips soldered directly to the motherboard and even more space if the soldered DRAM chips were stacked...
If you're referring to me, what I suggested was the Thunderbolt plus USB2 would suffice and that Apple might not support USB3 to further the strategic objective of wider Thunderbolt adoption.  My prediction was wrong.  On the other hand, my prediction that the 2012 MacBook Pro would have the RAM soldered directly on the motherboard was correct.   I'm hoping that Apple will drop the SO-DIMM slots on the Mac Mini and offer 8GB as the baseline soldered directly onto the...
In order to have a fair chance of success in the market, they'll have to dump MS Windows and run less crappy software like Symbian or Android.
If Microsoft are smart, they'll use either Android or Symbian to run their own tablets.
That's not how it works.  They are assembled on the same line.  The switch between 8GB and 16GB is done at a work shift change.
It's the other way around.  Soldering the RAM on the motherboard, rather than on SO-DIMMs, is cheaper because there are fewer parts and fewer manufacturing steps.
Cost: will be lower because there are fewer parts and fewer assembly steps. Reliability: One QCs memory chips before soldering them to the motherboard. Performance: Future JEDEC specs will support higher bandwidth and lower latency ONLY for directly soldered RAM. Compact design: At least one out of four benefits was obvious.
When I predicted here that the next MacBook Pro would have RAM soldered directly onto the motherboard, no one believed me.  This means lower cost, higher reliability, better performance, and a more compact design.  All manufacturers will follow Apple's lead on this.