or Connect

Posts by mcarling

I agree. We won't see any MacBook or MacBook Pro updates until Penryn is shipping. If you want one now, buy one now.
13" is far from ultra-portable. I was hoping for something in the 8" to 10" range weighing under 800g. As described, this is more luggable than portable.
Expect Apple to ship new laptops when Intel ship Penryn.
In order to keep the battery small and light, I would not expect an ultra-portable before Penryn ships. I tolerate my oversized, clunky, heavy 12" PB only because I'm not willing to hassle with Linux on a laptop or use any Microsoft products. I would not hesitate to pay $3000 for a 10" Apple laptop.
Good points, but Apple's share of the laptop market is much larger now. That makes a more diverse product line both possible and desirable.
You're right. solid-state drives are not reliable enough yet to fully replace hard drives. However, it is time to switch to 1.8" hard drives in notebooks. I realize that 1920x1200 is optimistic in a 12" notebook. It is, however, what I want. Resolution Independence will make it practical.
I'm hoping it has a 1.8" hard drive, no optical drive, and at least 1920x1200 resolution.
What about Resolution Independence?
It may not be a coincidence that the revised release date for Leopard coincides with the ship date for Penryn. We may see some Penryn-based Macs in time for the holiday buying season. I don't think Apple would let its competitors have a free ride through the holidays with Penryn-based products.
I wish my 12" PowerBook didn't have an optical drive. It is far too heavy. If I could run MacOS on a <1kg Sony VAIO, I would. I'll buy a new MBP when one is available that weighs less than my 12" PowerBook. Drop the optical drive and switch to 1.8" hard drives.