or Connect

Posts by Carmissimo

Schools are limited by budget. Taking that into consideration it is remarkable just how quickly the iPad has been embraced in a scholastic setting. Even if Apple had priced its tablets even more aggressively, I doubt schools would have acquired them any quicker. After all, being a different approach, you would expect there to be some experimentation preceding a full-scale adoption of the technology.Truth is, forcing childen to work with smaller screens would diminish the...
One of the arguments in favour of an iPad Mini is that it's needed for the education market but the iPad 2 starting at $399 woukd appear to be serving that market well.Children, from what I've observed, have no problem with the current iPad. It's claimed they do but that complaint isn't coming from them.If price is the issue, keep the iPad 2 around for still another year and lower the price still further. It's a perfectly viable device in no need of a major upgrade as a...
Have you ever had childen complaining that the current iPad is unusable. I keep hearing this argument but it's not children who find the iPad, as is not to their liking. They like it just fine, thank you, based on what I 've witnessed.
Whatever Apple does in the next while, surely there is going to be some sort of logic applied to the product mix as a whole. If the Nano is effectively transformed into something akin to the current Touch and this rumoured iPad Mini will be priced identically to the current Touch, and there is going to be a new Touch, I have say that this is a ridiculous mess. I still say the way to go would be to upgrade the Nano to step into some of the void left by making the Touch...
Not every consumer has removed the desktop from the mix. If you have a capable desktop coupled with a portable device like the IPad, it makes for a good combination. Having the power and storage capacity on the desktop frees up the portable device to be more convenient.I'm sure that for some consumers the desktop is dead but don't assume that what applies to one consumer applies to all consumers. It's like the argument regarding physical media vs. digital downloads. Just...
To me the evidence points to no iPad Mini. The release date delayed to October? Convenient. If there is no iPad Mini announcement next month, rumours of such a device can live on for at least another month. It's going to look suspiciously like an iPod Touch. Could it be because it will be the new Touch? If it looks like a Touch and will be priced the same as the current Touch (another rumour making the rounds), well, like it's often said, if it walks like a duck and quacks...
Priced identically to the Touch and now, we're told, plans to produce 4M units a month. This just gets curiouser and curiouser. Obviously I have no inside info but it just doesn't add up. The rumours are making less and less sense, raising doubts about the very existence of the iPad Mini.
  To me it's a case of, if you don't see the point of having the Touch and the rumoured Mini, because they would be too close in price and even intended use, surely a Touch that is still pocketable would broaden the appeal of the resulting device. In other words, taking away the ability to easily pocket the device is a bad idea and that's exactly what killing the Touch and replacing it with a 7.85-incher would cause to happen. Being able to pocket the device should be...
Wait a minute. $200 to $250? Assuming this is US pricing, let's look at the pricing of the iPod Touch. It's priced at $199 for an 8GB model, $299 for the 32GB version and $399 for the 64GB version.   If Apple releases a tablet priced identically to the current Touch, it would have to be the replacement for the Touch, not an entirely new size option.    If one assumes that for a larger tablet, 8GB is not going to cut it, there would have to be at minimum a 16GB...
The problem I could see with a larger iPad would be that it would be awkward to hold, even if relatively light. The other issue is, what sort of resolution would be needed to make a 15-inch screen qualify as a Retina, as Apple defines it. Being as a tablet is held closer than a laptop woud be, the resolution would have to be boosted accordingly. On the other hand, we're talking a few years down the road.For the next few years, making the iPad progressively lighter would...