or Connect

Posts by Carmissimo

If the Touch gains a larger screen, why bother with an iPad Mini. A larger Touch makes sense and if Apple plans to offer such a product, the rumoured Mini seems rather pointless. Of course, if there is no Mini announced next month, there will be claims that Apple has somehow failed but it should be remembered that any public comments from Apple regarding a 7-inch tablet have been negative in nature. Make the Touch larger and future iPads lighter. Do that and the 7-inch...
  What's the point of the iPad Mini? The Touch, especially if made a little larger, would be a fine portable device that one could easily slip into a pocket and the iPad is ideal as a substitute for laptops that had been put to less strenuous use. The iPad Mini would lose the portability advantages of the Touch and the ideal screen real estate of the iPad. In other words, the worst of both combined in one device. This is why Apple hasn't made a 7-inch tablet to this...
  A $399 7-inch iPad Mini would be DOA. 
  Well I guess early next year we'll see what direction Apple chooses to go in. I think we'll see a continuation of the two price points and as such there will be an update to the lower price point product, as well as the top-of-the-line model. 
  I don't think we'll see a $299 iPad 2 but I could see an update to the iPad 2, retaining the lower-resolution screen, sticking around at the $399 price point. Upgrade the processor, that sort of thing.    By the way, I bought the 2 when the 3 came out and have not regretted it. It doesn't feel like that much of a compromise considering the $100 you save. Eventually I'll upgrade to the top-of-the-line iPad but by then I expect the device to be lighter and run cooler. 
    How does a $649 phone (Cdn. pricing) compare to a $200 small-form tablet (i.e. a pocket computer).    If you can find a better $200 tablet, if that's what Apple unleashes, buy it. Yet that's not likely to happen. If Apple can make a $199 (Cdn.) Touch with a 3.5-inch screen, it can make a $199 update on that product sporting a larger screen. Specifications upgrades with no change in price has been something Apple has been doing for years. If Apple does this, rather...
My belief is that there will not be two products as in an iPod Touch and an iPad Mini. Instead, the Nano will be a little less nano and the Touch will become a larger device to slot in below the iPad. Keeping existing price points from the Nano and Touch lines but making those devices each larger, Apple will continue to dominate this space. No need to change the names of the devices either. Why muddy the waters by having a second IPad form factor that is really a different...
The sweet spot, in my opinion, would be even larger than 4 inches but still small enough to have a legitimately pocketable device. Do that and forget about the rumoured 7.85-inch iPad.   If Apple released such a device but kept the price to current levels, the threat from low end of the tablet market would be effectively addressed and we wouldn't have two similarly priced devices competing against each other for a segment of the market. Who knows, maybe this is where...
Whatever Apple does, there isn't room for the Touch and a tweener tablet as described. My guess is that Apple is working on a bigger Touch but not so big that it loses its ability to fit in most pockets. That should be the design goal, namely keep the effective portability that makes the Touch a desirable product yet improve the user experience by making the screen larger. Such a product could come in at around the same price as the current Touch, still turn a profit and...
The Surface is about getting far more expensive software, which Microsoft make a lot of money from, onto tablets. The iPad model is based on insanely inexpensive software that Microsoft does not profit off of, certainly not in any appreciable manner. If a lot more consumers are turning to their iPads more often and iPads become progressively more capable - which they will - that's bad news for a major player in software running on traditional computer platforms. So of...