or Connect

Posts by Carmissimo

Apple does care about profit but it's approach is a little different, at least when Jobs was running the show. The reasoning is that if you make a product that consumers will love to use over time, you can charge more and sell a lot of them for a great profit.   Apple is known for making stuff that people love to use. This is the key to Apple's stunning success these past few years. People complain that Apple's products are pricey and some whine about specific...
  My logic in referring to it as a less expensive approach is based on the following logic. The iPad 2 has already been developed and is rolling off assembly lines as we speak. I'm sure Apple recovered development costs on that device a long, long time ago. A price reduction at this time is viable and still Apple will make a lot of money. Yet wouldn't a $349 iPad 2 go a long way towards meeting the challenge of lower-cost 7-inch tablets? For a few dollars more you can...
If this is about generating sales, there's a much less expensive approach. Start by lowering the US price of the iPad 2 to $349. Then you update the Touch with a larger screen, let's say 4.7 inches. The Touch is overdue for an overhaul and I don't think Apple is ready to pull the plug on it. Either the mini is imminent or Apple is pulling a fast one to hide its true intentions.
Better than the 6-inch Touch would be a 5-inch version because then you would retain the portability that is the current Touch's reason for being. 
So many reports claiming the iPad 7-inch model is coming and still there seems a rather odd sort of product spread unfolding, if that were to in fact happen. It's hard to imagine that the iPod Touch would go up to 4 inches, be priced around $200 to start, and then along would come a 7-inch iPad costing only a few dollars more, considering the 10-inch iPad starts at only $399 with the potential to go even cheaper if the non-Retina entry model sticks around.   A more...
Apple can't ignore sales trends, certainly, but there are a couple of points to consider. One is that Apple already makes a smaller/lighter/more portable/lower-priced tablet. I'm obviously referring to the Touch/iPhone. Apple can't ignore that it has such a tablet with a starting price of about $200 which is ballpark to what the proposed 7-inch tablet would be priced at. What the competition in smaller tablets impacts on more than the 10-inch tablet is the Touch. Myself, I...
From Apple's perspective, the question is, does the preference of some for a smaller device have any impact on their buying decision. If given the choice between a 10-inch iPad and a 7-inch tablet made by another manufacturer, the vast majority of consumers still prefer the iPad (sales would suggest that is the case), then what does it matter that a 7-inch iPad would also appeal to some. Apple doesn't appear to be losing sales because the iPad is proving to be too large...
Simply claiming something is untrue with nothing to support that position doesn't make it false, either.    No one is talking about a 6-inch iPhone. The key is to make a phone that remains truly portable yet adds enough additional screen to improve the user experience. What I like about my Touch is that I can easily pocket the device and hence take it anywhere. I wish it had a larger screen but not to the point where I lose that portability. If that happens, might as well...
Apple needs to look to technology that will reduce weight and of course heat. Battery life is a factor as well.    Yet, it's not likely that Apple would take a product that is selling fabulously well, as is, and make changes partway through the model run. Changes will probably happen early next year when the company unveils the next iPad (aka the iPad 4).    Lighter, cooler (in more ways than one), with either better battery life or a lighter battery that...
What would help the situation would be to make the iPhone screen larger and it is claimed Apple is headed in that direction. Certainly smartphones in general have gone in that direction. The thing is, if you make the iPhone/Touch with a larger screen and you continue to lower the price of the entry point for an iPad 10-inch device, it weakens the argument in favour of a 7-inch iPad. If Apple figures out how to lower the weight of the 10-inch form factor, that makes the...