or Connect

Posts by Carmissimo

Would there be a problem using a current version of the iPad for use while commuting? After all, you can't slip a 7-inch tablet into your pant pocket. You'd have to carry it in something else and that something else could just as easily be large enough to accommodate a 10-inch iPad. As such, there is such a minuscule percentage of potential purchasers of a tablet who couldn't get what they need out of the current product mix. Certainly I don't see that the current iPad...
    Look, my argument is that a tablet is not the same as a laptop. As I said, there is an upper limit to the tablet because it can be a handheld device, which the laptop is not. On the lower end of the size scale, there is a reason that Apple does not make a laptop with a 7-inch screen. It would make for a lousy laptop for the same reason it would make for a lousy tablet. Not enough screen real estate for what the device is intended to do.    While one can go bigger than...
My iPad doesn't have a cellular plan either. 
  Wrong. I would be confident that if a customer went to an Apple Store to buy their iPad, they would have a good shot at knowing what they were in for but iPads are sold all over the place, including the aforementioned Walmart. At our nearby Walmart the iPad on display is behind a glass case and not accessible to be tried out. Even if samples are available to be tested out, not everybody bothers to avail themselves of that opportunity. And they are not always purchased...
That's not my argument. Laptops are an entirely different beast. For one thing, while weight matters with a laptop, it matters a whole lot less than a tablet. Getting the weight right on a tablet means that a screen larger than the current iPad just wouldn't work. It's not just about weight but also about how comfortable the device is to hold. You don't hold a laptop.    So that means there is an upper limit on the tablet, which the current iPad has reached.    Going down...
Your real world example does't work because I don't think you bought the Corolla thinking it would be more or less identical to a $35,000 Lexus only cheaper. On the other hand, if Apple slaps an iPad name on a device for anyone exposed to that device, it will shape their impression of what an iPad is.    It is faulty to assume that when one buys the smaller iPad, if such a device were offered, that one would understand that the tablet experience on such a device would be...
The problem is that too many consumers, attracted to a lower price, would buy the smaller device instead of the current form factor and then be less happy with using it on a regular basis. This would have a negative long-term impact.Apple makes a device that fits perfectly with your basic requirement that you would actually have the device with you. Two such devices in fact. The IPod Touch and the iPhone. The difference is that those devices are clearly differentiated from...
To the posters claiming they'd like a smaller iPad that was more convenient to carry around I have the following question: Is is the assumption that upon making the screen smaller, the enjoyment of using said device is to remain unaltered?
What is it that makes some think the current iPad is too large, especially for children. I have a seven-year-old nephew who, upon arriving for a visit, invariably asks if he can play with my iPad. Absolutely loves it.    Apple already offers a perfectly viable $400 iPad that it can continue to sell with an even lower price in future. For instance, when the next iPad arrives early next year, what would prevent Apple from still selling the iPad 2 at let's say $350...
It's simple really. Once IOS devices became insanely popular, Flash was doomed. There are too many IOS devices running to be ignored by anyone running a web site. Besides there is a standard that can work on all devices so why support one that ignores an important segment of folks surfing the web.