or Connect

Posts by Carmissimo

A couple of points I'd like to make. First of all, it's important to note that the next version of the Mac OS will be leaner, more efficient and that bodes well for any future Apple version of a computer in the netbook space. There is a limit to what can be done with hardware, though that, too, will improve as the months move along. But if the OS is made significantly more efficient, that's a very good way of extracting more performance out of a netbook device, keeping...
I have been invested in Apple for several years now and have done exceedingly well, all things considered. What I have found is that there is a desire, for whatever reason, to think the demise of this company is imminent and as such there is a tendency to leap off the band wagon first and ask questions later. This company has been so different than most other companies that it's as if its success is being treated as something too good to be true and hence not to be...
Perhaps though installing the OS would be little more work than hooking up the hard drive via firewire or USB2, the optical drive in the same fashion and putting in a DVD with the necessary software. As I said, this wouldn't be for everybody. Inexperienced users would certainly not go there. Another option that would still keep costs down would be to include a small flash drive internally, allowing for the OS to be included in the ultra mini, even if the onboard storage...
Clearly such a machine would, even if there were no internal hard drive, come with the software to install OS X and being as it is such a marvellous OS, the odds of somebody buying the hypothetical ultra mini and not bothering to install OS X are slim and none. That's especially true considering OS X will come with boot camp, allowing the machine to also run Microsoft's OS. It would be quite easy for Apple to design this product so that the only way to operate the computer...
I do agree with you that the decision to go with a cooler form factor at the expense of storage capacity was the wrong one. A somewhat larger mini with a standard hard drive that would be both 7,200 RPM and able to hold more data would have resulted in a higher value package.But that ship has sailed. There's no way now that Apple would bring out a mini that was less mini. That's just not the Steve Jobs way and fault him though you may, the man does have a great flair for...
It seems to me that it hardly matters that the mini is comparable to state-of-the-art from six years ago. It still has the capabilities that it has. The fact that there are much faster machines out there hardly renders the mini inoperable. It still does what it does and I find it can do quite a lot. Anything else is meaningless to me. I don't buy computers just to say I have a computer that can do A, B or C. I buy a computer to accomplish a given set of tasks. If the...
I think the mini has potential if Apple approaches it on a less-is-more basis. Considering Apple has traditionally taken a less-is-more approach, it wouldn't surprise me if in fact that will happen. I do understand your logic in suggesting the form factor sacrifice would be worthwhile if it meant going with less expensive hard drive technology but you're taking the short-term view of this thing. The cost of components is dropping all the time. Before long, the larger hard...
That makes zero sense. Even if Apple offered bigger drives, the cost would be higher than simply buying an external drive, as I have done. My USB2 320 gig drive cost all of $180. I've installed my entire music collection on it. If, for example, I want to add an additional 250 gigs to an iMac, here in Canada the cost through Apple is $240. If cost is not relevent, frankly what are you doing buying a mini in the first place? Personally I think it's not rational to expect...
That makes zero sense. Even if Apple offered bigger drives, the cost would be higher than simply buying an external drive, as I have done. My USB2 320 gig drive cost all of $180. I've installed my entire music collection on it. If, for example, I want to add an additional 250 gigs to an iMac, here in Canada the cost through Apple is $240. If cost is not relevent, frankly what are you doing buying a mini in the first place? Personally I think it's not rational to expect...
The biggest drive available in the mini right now from Apple is 80 gigs. My mini has a 40gig hard drive. But I have nearly 500 gigs of storage because I added external hard drives. Rather than think of the mini as a complete package, I would like to see an inexpensive device that serves as the starting point, leaving it up to owners to upgrade as they see fit. As long as the base mini was capable enough for someone to use it for basic stuff like surfing the Internet,...