or Connect

Posts by TenThousandThings

wizard69,   I can't do the whole quoting and responding thing. I just don't have time right now. Anyhow, I find that approach only interesting to those directly involved. For anyone else following the thread, that kind of minutely detailed back-and-forth dialogue is impenetrable.   First, I've got nothing against an xMac. I just don't think Apple has displayed anything close to an interest in making it happen, not since Jobs came back. My basic critique of your...
  I don't know (obviously!), but I think you may be underestimating the role of OS X in the development arc of Apple's entire product line. Thus, Apple itself may have an internal reason to maintain a high-end Mac Pro, to keep OS X healthy. This is one of DED's main assertions and it is likely to be valid, despite what wizard69 thinks of him. It's even possible to explain the lapse in updating the current Mac Pro from that point of view -- if Apple doesn't have an...
  My point was that it is "remarkable" that the same basic price structure, created in the infancy of the market, has been the sweet spot for Apple computer pricing for thirty years. There's probably a correlate to Moore's law within the sales community to that effect -- that every two years computing power needs to double at those price points in order to keep driving sales, or something like that.   The point about inflation (which I didn't make, but was implied, I...
  Okay, I misunderstood you. Thanks for simply clarifying what you meant. My apologies for bringing you into my argument, as it were.   I may or may not take the time to respond to wizard69, but in the end I mainly just wanted to predict the base price is going to go up, and the $2500 Mac Pro will be a thing of the past. Anyhow, we'll know soon enough, be it next month or later on.
  Intel's production delays explain Apple's failure to put Sandy Bridge into the existing Mac Pro early last year. It also seems clear that a decision was made at that point to skip Sandy Bridge entirely and to not "play catch up" -- a decision that must have been made before Cook sent his post-WWDC 2012 email addressing "our Pro customers" indicating a 2013 Mac Pro redesign was in the works. It's hard to be sure about the basis for that decision, but it isn't hard to...
  If Dan is right, PCIe functionality will be pushed outside the box, via Thunderbolt. Apart from that, it's just the optical drive. Everything else stays inside, obviously. I would hope that Apple would not do this (move PCIe outside the box) unless anything that could formerly be added via PCIe can now, or soon will be, possible via Thunderbolt.   But you've definitely hit upon one limitation that early adopters will likely face. Dan doesn't point out the fact that the...
  Read the article linked: http://www.asymco.com/2013/04/16/escaping-pcs/   "The real problem for the PC vendors is not that they have such low margins–they’ve had low margins for decades. It’s that the volumes which made up for low margins are disappearing."   That's how. Apple's Mac volumes have grown steadily since the move to OS X. PC volumes have declined over that time, with the decline picking up speed recently as iOS and Android devices have cut sharply into sales...
  It's great to see Dan weigh in on this. There are few observers with a better sense of Apple's general direction than he, especially in relation to the rest of the industry. I think this is his core observation:     But I think what irks you is this:     So which is it? He doesn't really say. But if everything he mentions were implemented in a new Mac Pro, it would make for a radical departure from the status quo. To begin with, he suggests Thunderbolt will displace...
Notes on the past, present, and future of the Mac Pro   It is helpful to think back a bit to differences between the original 2006 Mac Pro and the current version. In 2006 [1,1 and 2,1], there was a single base model which could be customized via build-to-order options for its dual CPUs, graphics cards, and so on. This approach continued with the speed increase in the 2008 [3,1] -- one dual-CPU base model with a limited but intelligent range of BTO options.   In...
That advice ignores the possibility that one may have a significant investment in OS X software, and not just in terms of money -- Logic isn't hugely expensive, but there's also the learning curve to think about -- staying with what you know is not necessarily a trivial consideration. Switching can be a huge pain in the butt. Not to mention old documents that may not be compatible with whatever Windows application(s) one is switching to. It's not just a hardware thing.