or Connect

Posts by TenThousandThings

I don't understand why people are so threatened by the idea of a new Mac Pro. Why do they care? It's great that the iMacs may actually have a sort of expansion/upgrade path now with Thunderbolt, not to mention the MacBooks. I'm sure users have been asking for this kind of thing forever.   But that doesn't have anything to do with the Mac Pro and the server capabilities built into OS X. The difference between Apple today and Sony yesterday is OS X. The iOS is an offshoot...
  Exactly. They need the new hardware now to test 10.8 on it. WWDC is actually perfectly timed for that. The sooner they introduce the new machines into the wild, the more thorough the real-world testing they get from the developers and AppleSeed.
I don't think that quote refers to anything in particular. It's a reflection on the fact that he always feels that way when he's working on a new design, no matter what it is.   Don't get me wrong -- I pray daily that I will be able to replace my trusty Mac Pro 1,1 with something special, and soon. So I hope you're right!
A good summary of the argument. Although I imagine 2,000 (typo?) is far too low for the initial sales burst, since the Mac Pro 1,1 and 2,1 are being left behind by both Mountain Lion and Adobe's CS 6 (no official support for those graphics processors, but you can tell it to use the CPU instead).   Another way to possibly reduce costs and definitely free up space in the retail stores (I'll let you guess which of these two I think is more of a priority for Apple right now)...
More thoughts on the Mac Pro. I agree with others who have scoffed at the idea Apple will kill the Mac Pro and concede those markets to Windows. Let's not forget where it all started. Mac OS X is still the foundation of the iOS universe -- to keep it ahead of the curve, Apple needs to produce hardware for the most powerful Intel processors.   As it stands, however, a likely 2011 Sandy Bridge Xeon E5 Mac Pro refresh never happened, thanks to Intel's delays, and now we...
The only way the Mac Pro gets attention is if it's a total redesign. Then they might use it to generate buzz and to talk about Thunderbolt.   If all we're looking at is the long-delayed Sandy Bridge Xeon E5 refresh, then no way it makes the keynote.
Yes, it makes no sense. I can't believe that Apple wants to be the only avenue for repairs and upgrades to the drives, especially after the warranties expire on these machines.It's quite likely that maxinc's comment earlier is accurate, and the OWC report that this story was based on was not entirely accurate, especially the bit about there being a "custom" SATA connector. If so, Apple Insider should update this story, since people don't read all the comments, and it is...
You're too nice. "Incompetent" is the word that was going through my mind (with regard to OWC) after reading maxinc's comment.
Is the Z68 caching feature something that a firmware/software update could address later? If so, maybe Lion will do so?
Note that Mr. Yang and the Taiwanese company do not actually control the assets of their Shenzhen "affiliate." I would assume that one of those assets is, in fact, the iPad trademarks in China that are in question. So I would think it would be the consortium of Chinese banks that should sue or (more likely) seek to sell the trademarks to Apple. Assuming, of course that somehow the basic claim -- that the deal for Proview's global trademarks did not include those held by...