or Connect

Posts by TenThousandThings

Those are coming, in the TV ads. There's a list of the configurations they'll be using here:http://www.microsoft.com/windows/choosepc/allaround/ The larger problem with the campaign is that it is contrived.
Yes -- he's making a false comparison. XP was current until January 2007 (when Vista was released to consumers). So he should be comparing XP to Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger. All machines that can run 10.1 can also run 10.4. Can all machines that can run the original XP release from 2001 also run XP SP3? [Not a rhetorical question -- I don't actually know the answer.]
These ads are taking advantage of the fact Apple only competes at certain price points. So a consumer says, "Okay, I want to buy a laptop. I have $1500/$2000/$2500 to spend." The fact is that the MacBook is very competitive at those price points, especially when tangibles like industrial design and Mac OS X are factored in. [In other words, when you don't ignore quality -- as this ad campaign must to be effective -- and you start competing against the best PC hardware...
This seems to be the list of machines they will be using in the ads during the campaign: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/choosepc/allaround/ All of the configurations featured in the NY Times ad are there, along with the one from the first television ad. The prices/configurations are as of February 18.
Here are the comparisons being made in today's front-page "slot machine" ad in the New York Times online: http://nytimes.com/ MBP 17" $2799 -- Lenovo Y730 $1499 MBP 15" $2499 -- Asus G50Vt-A2 $1899 MB 13" $1299 -- Dell Studio 15 $1099, Lenovo Y530 $1029, Dell Studio XPS 13 $1099, Toshiba U400 $729 MB 13" $999 -- Toshiba A305 $629, Acer Aspire 5735 $499 The above comparisons are somewhat more fair than the one in the television ad (which is based on a lie about screen...
The idiocy of the patent's approval aside, the model depicted does not really depict what Apple is doing. They are both the web content dealer and the retail store. There is no transaction taking place for the access keys before the retail sales. The Driessens' patent isn't about a gift card for a specific product. I mean, there must be hundreds of examples from before their application in 2000. So the patent is for something else. I guess that would be the model of a...
I think it just means that the particular build they're handing out at the conference is not going to be widely distributed. That is, it's basically just a demo build -- I somehow got the impression during the keynote presentation that the WWDC build is at least two weeks old (basically the time they had to prepare the presentation). So Apple's internal builds must be further along. I'll bet the usual (main) channels get a more current build within a week.
Killing time here... MacBook 13" MacBook Pro 15", 17" MacBook Pro Nano 11" iMac 17" iMac Pro 20", 24" Mac Mini [$599, $799] Mac Midi [$1499, $1799] [Basically half a Mac Pro] Mac Pro [$2199, $2499, $3299, $3999] Cinema Displays 20", 24", 30"
I'm pleased with the whole new Desktop/Finder/QuickLook/Time Machine nexus. I think it's a bigger deal than it seems at first glance. For what it's worth, I still think we won't see the new iMac until after Leopard is released.
I only just now saw the Think Secret story from the 7th about new iMacs. Sounds convincing. I still think the original plan was to release them (Leopard and the new iMac) together, but after it became clear that Leopard would not be ready by early August they changed the date of WWDC and pushed up the release of the new iMac to happen then (i.e., this Monday). I guess there was no longer any reason to hold it back. Certainly "iMac Pro" sounds right. And obviously...