or Connect

Posts by winterspan

Hopefully Apple doesn't get clever and decide to increase yield on the A5 by fusing off processing cores that don't work thus creating "single-core" A5s for the iPhone...
Although it may not mean anything, I think the fact that the chinese case has the camera flash in a new location is significant. This altered flash was NOT shown in the "leaked" engineering drawings nor on any previous "leak" or rumor that I can remember. Given the history of case manufacturers getting early specifications of new Apple products and the fact that other leaks have pointed to an "edge-to-edge" screen (with the same resolution), I wouldn't be surprised if this...
This is incorrect. Blackberry devices connect to a secure Blackberry Enterprise Server that integrates with Microsoft Exchange and enables their push email service. The confusion arises from the fact that Microsoft has used the term "Active Sync" for two entirely different things. "Exchange Active Sync" is the push-based email/contact synch protocol that the iPhone/Android uses. Most people think of this when referring to "Active Sync". The original "Active Sync", which...
What the hell are you talking about? Now, I personally fall in to the early adopter group, but there is nothing "idiotic" about someone saving $150 by buying a 3GS versus iPhone 4 if they are happy with the older model. The absolute cost of the contract over time is irrelevant because it is the same whether they go for a 3GS, iPhone 4, Blackberry, etc. This is akin to the argument I always hear about why buying unsubsidized phones is somehow a better deal because the "real...
"major feature updates in iOS 5... are expected to drive sales." 1) If all existing owners of the current-gen device (iPhone4) receive the software update, how would it drive new sales (for current owners) ? 2) For those without an iPhone, I don't think a new OS release combined with old hardware will drive new sales --- particularly hardware that is 12+ months old. Anyone in their right mind would wait for the fall iPhone 5 release instead of buying iPhone 4 in July.
You have a reliable source for that? Everything I've read indicates the A4 in the iPhone is very similar to the Hummingbird core in Samsungs products. The cortex-A9 cores in the A5 may change this trend, but i don't believe the nextgen dualcore cortex-A9-like Samsung chips are out yet...
Can someone with the proper knowledge comment on this size difference? The delta in size cannot be explained solely by the 45nm vs 40 process. From my own limited knowledge, it would appear the only differences between the chips are: 1) dual-core PowerVR GPU in the Apple chip (vs Geforce ULV) 2) Implementation of SIMD NEON engine (Tegra doesn't implement NEON) 3) Memory controller differences? Are they both single-channel LPDDR2? What else would cause the huge...
Sorry, but that is extremely unlikely. With low-power ARM SoCs, heat is not a major concern compared to other factors --- namely battery life. The A5 is not much different from other dual-core Cortex-A9 chips (T.I. OMAP4, Tegra 2, Qualcomm Snapdragon 86xx) which are already making their way into smartphones. With the constant evolution of process technologies, each year or so should be able to see a faster, lower-power processor.
HAHHHH
I just bought one... Best purchase I ever made..