or Connect

Posts by winterspan

I love AI, but this article is really reaching... 1) All internet browsing on Blackberry devices goes through the RIM data centers and through the specialized RIM equipment connected into VZ's network. Considering only blackberry phones are affected, clearly this is a RIM <--> VZW equipment or connection problem and wouldn't affect iPhones. 2) If the idea was to show that every cellular company (including Verizon and AT&) experiences small outages and network...
Who exactly was worshipping VZW from a pricing perspective?? I wad with them for ~7 years and pricing/value was not something they were known for, and they did a lot of shady anti-consumer stuff with their smartphones (e.g. Disabling bluetooth file transfer, etc). However, and it's a big however, at the end of he day the most important factor for many is service (both voice and data) reliability and availability. In my immediate area, AT&Ts 3G network is good. But in many...
Although Qualcomm was the primary developer and holds most of the IP for CDMA2000 technology, I think its important to note that they also are a major chipset manufacturer and holds numerous patents on LTE technology (and too a small extent GSM/UMTS). There really is no reason why Apple couldn't use them for all their cellular products..
I think that is a very important point for people to keep in mind. While I don't doubt that Steve Jobs is a very intelligent CEO, he doesn't just snap his fingers and magically manifest some of the greatest software and hardware ever made. It is his ability to inspire and motivate thousands of designers and engineers to do amazing work that makes him who he is.
Verizon is certainly not a panacea of American wireless service. They have been known in the past to artificially cripple device features, restrict software usage, remove factory features from devices (like free GPS apps) whiles adding their own inferior (and insanely expensive) versions. With the introduction of Android devices, they appear to have reformed these anti-consumer practices, and have become far better from that point of view. All that said, there is no...
"Users might not notice a major difference, as experts say its hard to see a real difference between 720p and 1080p on screens smaller than 50 inches. " To those who have brought up the issue about 720P v 1080P, thank you. I'm really sick of this "you can't even see the difference in most cases" crap being perpetuated without adequate explanation or context. It is ridiculous to talk about comparing resolutions without even mentioning viewing distance, which is the most...
Indeed. Some of the people around here are scary. How in the world could they possibly maintain anything close to objectivity when you have a significant part of their life invested in the naive worship of a corporation's products?You also have to love how this clown uses his post count as a means of suggesting forum "superiority".
Although it is not a huge issue, with Apple's industry-leading product margins, and huge mountain of cash in the bank, I don't see why it is necessary to nickel and dime employees for things like on-campus food, gym use, etc... It is pretty standard among large tech corporations in that area to offer these perks for free
There are some things wrong with that chart: 1) CDMA/CDMA2000/EVDO are standards created by 3rd Generation Partnership Project 2 (3GPP2), so even if Qualcomm is the primary technology developer/IP owner, your chart should be changed reflect both standard organizations (3GPP and 3GPP2) 2) CDMA2000/EVDO is still used in dozens of countries around the world, with hundreds of millions of subscribers. Its certainly not as widespread as GSM/UMTS, but to say that it is...
This is an unfortunate response coming from Apple. Based on the dozen or so anecdotal reports from individuals/bloggers/engineers that I've read, the half-dozen youtube videos I've seen, friends that I know first-hand experiencing the issue, and even quantitative testing from Anandtech.com, this issue does NOT appear to be a simple case of "signal bars" being display incorrectly. While a problem with the visual display of signal strength may account for the perceived loss...