or Connect

Posts by winterspan

This is an unfortunate response coming from Apple. Based on the dozen or so anecdotal reports from individuals/bloggers/engineers that I've read, the half-dozen youtube videos I've seen, friends that I know first-hand experiencing the issue, and even quantitative testing from Anandtech.com, this issue does NOT appear to be a simple case of "signal bars" being display incorrectly. While a problem with the visual display of signal strength may account for the perceived loss...
As much as I haven't enjoyed the flaccid response from Apple regarding the very real antennae issue(s) (see the quantitative Anandtech testing), this guy certainly takes the cake. I'm shocked that SJ would continue to engage him in conversation. Sad.
The author is intentionally conflating two separate issues in order to downplay the problem with (a subset of?) the iPhone 4 devices. As has been repeated a thousand times, all cellular phones --- and all RF devices --- will have their signal strength attenuated to some degree if you cover their antennae with your hands or other body parts. Consequently, many, if not most cell phones will show an increased signal strength when you set it down on a table. No one is...
Similar to the article about the antennae issue from Price Mclean, this one misses the point and (I feel) is intentionally conflating two separate issues in order to downplay the problem with (a subset of?) the iPhone 4 devices. As has been repeated a thousand times, all cellular phones --- and all RF devices --- will have their signal strength attenuated to some degree if you cover their antennae with your hands or other body parts. Consequently, many, if not most cell...
Beautiful little device... and I understand that it would be difficult to fit the board and cooling requirements of a discrete GPU in the tiny case and that they would rather have Nvidia's 9400 than Intel's graphics, but still, spending close to $1000 on a computer with a Core 2 Duo "Penryn" chip which hasn't seen anything but minor modifications since 2007 is pretty bad.
This is a load of crap. I couldn't find 2009 numbers, but on average (data for 2006 - 2008) the domestic Japanese market sees about 40-50 million mobile phone sales per year, just a bit more than 2.3 million. That number appears very low even if they are only counting "smartphones" -- which brings up another issue. How are they determining what represents a "smartphone"? Most Japanese "dumbphones" are similar in complexity and features to what most people would refer to as...
Back off fanboys!1) Despite "Brian" being wrong about the GPU switching technology, the fact is that Nvidia's Optimus provides a very similar solution for PC users.2) Based on industry standard benchmarks, the new Intel GMA HD that comes with the Core i3/i5/i7 (depending on clock speed) is essentially equal to the 9400M in most performance characteristics:Compare their 3DMark05 / 3DMark06 scores...
While it may be an upgrade to the existing Macbook Pro 13", it still is pretty bad. For god sakes, the next-generation ATI Radon 5000 series having been out for ~6 months. The mobile parts haven't been out as long, but still it's been quite a while, and easily enough time for Apple to have switched to them for their laptops. Apple should have tossed Nvidia and their old technology (These "new" 320/330M chips are basically a tweak/re-brand of the "200M" series, which was...
I'm in the same position. I would love a Mac Pro, but they are just too expensive for my needs, especially considering I don't need workstation-class hardware. I'm looking to build a quad-core (Core i7 870 2.93ghz... it's Lynnfield but it's turbo boost is far higher than bloomfield) desktop (high-end ATI or Nvidia DX11, SSD, etc) that dualboots OSX and Windows 7. I've been out of the custom PC game for a long time, so I wanted to ask you what parts you are looking at and...
I finally gave up on Apples cinema displays since they've taken so long to update them. Even when the 27 comes out, I wouldn't be surprised if it's far more expensive than equivalent units from competitors. Check out this new 27" IPS from Dell. It looks like a great device and lists for around $1,000... http://www.engadget.com/2010/01/07/d...cd-monitor-ha/