or Connect

Posts by winterspan

Don't try and characterize the whole United States.... Although it has a reputation for moral righteousness and narrow-minded religious orthodoxy, most of that nonsense is restricted to a (albeit large) minority. The majority of people are pretty moderate (or liberal) in their views of sex. Just take a look at the sex-crazed media industry.
Don't draw the wrong conclusion here. The Nexus One phone's OLED display is inferior to the 3GS's LCD display. That DOES NOT MEAN that all small OLED displays are the same. I guarantee this was a cost issue, and if it were not as important, they could have used a far better OLED display. Obviously there are a few different types of OLED displays, but if anyone is doubting the technology itself, take a look at the 10.1" Sony OLED TV. It's picture is incredible (and it's OLD)
"idiotic speculation" would be suggesting that a technology that is currently in widespread use by over 100 million mobile phone subscribers in the USA with an excellent 3G coverage footprint is going to be "end of life" after Verizon puts up a couple dozen 4G towers...
LTE is more important than just higher max theoretical throughput for one phone -- it also is far more spectrally efficient than HSPA and allows a far higher TOTAL TOWER throughput between x number of devices and the tower. it should allow ATT to enable more simultaneous data users on one tower (or at least thr same number but with better average throughput per device) - Sent from my iPhone
Can someone with recent experience comment about the support of DirectX9 gaming (and/or OpenGL 3D apps) within VMware or Parallels? Do most modern games run? what do you think the performance as a percentage of native performance is? 50%? 70%? Also, Does anyone know the situation regarding "IO-MMU" support on Nehalem? Do current Nehalem chips support Intel's VT-d (IO-MMU) technology? Does VMWARE or Parallels products support this technology which would allow a Windows 7...
I hope you're joking. the ARM11 core (used in many smartphones like the original iphone / iphone 3G) is ancient at this point, there is no way they would release a larger tablet that has LESS power than an iPhone 3GS. It's higher resolution display and more advanced applications will certainky require more horsepower than an iPhone. It is far more likely the device will use a dual-core implementation of the new ARM Cortex-A9, possibly a custom SoC created by PA SEMI. Also,...
HAHAHAHAH... After having just left them for an iPhone after nearly 10 years of service, you can be sure I hate Verizon and their anti-customer practices, but boy does AT&T need to "nut up" on this one. They got caught with their pants down and I say more power to them to put AT&T in their place and get them to actually improve their crappy network. On a related note, I actually compiled my own nationwide AT&T 3G map from all the little regional ones they show you and made...
Perhaps this would work in the future with a huge array of localized servers in each region of the USA, and everyone has low-latency, 50mbit fiber-to-the-home connections... I guess I can see it being adequate on an average 5mbit cable broadband connection, but on a cell phone?? Even with HSPA 3G, throughput and especially latency will be a killer -- not to even speak of the 600-1000ms latencies of AT&T's EDGE.
As always, the post was very informative, but also contains some misleading suggestions.. Google's excellent photoshop-elements-replacement "Picassa" is a photograph organization (and limited editing) application that utilizes LOCAL "my pictures" image storage, with an easy to use online photo gallery publishing element. It does NOT solely rely on cloud storage. Similarly, despite the fact that the Palm Pre's software platform was created for Javascript/HTML/CSS...
Unless you are recording clips on your cellphone or cheap point&shoot, why in the hell would you record at anything less than 720P? Especially considering decent HD video cameras cost the same as SD cameras from only a few years ago. 960x540 for a brand new format? right....