or Connect

Posts by dreyfus2

Sorry to say, but the EU fine will not be anywhere around 10% of annual revenues. This only ever happens when companies continue their misconduct once an investigation has been opened. They were clever enough to withdraw all claims immediately once this happened. It is pretty hard to estimate the fine under these circumstances, but even if they are found to be "guilty", the limit would normally be around 3-5% of revenues in affected member countries (can be as low as 1%...
 Well, ad the subsidies MS was paying Nokia ($1 bn p.a. since announcing the partnership in 2011), which will not be returned, marketing support (unknown, some analysts put it at $3 bn for WP7 and WP8), and the $16 bn MSFT stock dropped immediately after announcing the deal, just to acquire a company that makes higher losses in a year than what Moto lost since Google acquired them and losing the only relevant WP licensee at one fell swoop... I would have second thoughts...
 Agree with the first part, but what would a stylus be good for? Seeing more of an email, or reading more web pages without pinching and panning... would be more than useful enough. And I admit that as somebody not even wanting a bigger iPhone.  Who said that the 5C will be "non-profit"? Or even "cheap"? There is a lot of room to make a profitable phone below $649. Actually, the 5C might even carry a higher margin than a soon last-gen iPhone 5 (as this one is terribly...
Hm, this is in line with T-Mobile Germany rumors. Just strange that they would not list the 8 GB iPhone 4 as discontinued then. Of course it would make sense to discontinue all 4/4S models, as this would eliminate the old aspect ratio and dock connector at once. (Force developers to finally update their 3:2 iPhone apps and spur the availability of Lightning compatible accessories.)
 Hm, thanks for that! At least I can see now, where the different interpretations came from... There is a "Push API" (as in your document) that explicitly mentions the possibility of notifications without the webapp being active, and there is a "Web Notifications API" (https://dvcs.w3.org/hg/notifications/raw-file/tip/Overview.html) which doesn't (and which is the one I was talking about). The one I was referring to does explicitly warn about implementations like Apple's,...
 The most important feature for me is clearly multi-monitor support and the ability to treat AirPlay devices as a monitor in this context. Since the appearance of Mission Control and Full Screen Apps, and the removal of multi-monitor features in QuickTime X, working, or even showing movies, on systems with more than one display was a disaster (actually worse than anything Macs could do even under the classic OS or just any version before 10.7). In 10.9 they, IMHO of...
 Yep, correct. And my home screen is just fine - all apps are in folders and if a notification interests me, I can launch any app right from the notification center. It is also not my "particular poison", it is a general concern about littering standardized platforms with proprietary junk. While HTML 5 does cater for notifications about changes to a currently open web page, Apple goes a lot further than that. In the developer beta of 10.9 (no idea how it will be in the...
 No idea what the first sentence is supposed to mean. It is not about what I can "revoke", or what Apple does to control it (I prefer to be in control of my computer myself, even if this means that I screw up something). It is about wether it serves a purpose. I can subscribe to a site using RSS (Apple chose to leave that to third parties, which is fine), and if I really want to follow something, they can provide an app with or without notifications. I do use e.g. Apple...
 Are you really that naïve? Any site will promise you "important updates" and then spam you. Then you can go to a support forum and hope somebody will tell you how to disable that crap. If I want to be updated by a site, there's RSS. No need to reinvent that.
I love 10.9 so far (truly, it is gorgeous), but this is simply a fucking annoyance. I hope nobody uses it.