or Connect

Posts by dreyfus2

I hope, figuratively, that this discussion does not go any deeper.
 You would not really have to store fingerprint data itself to do that (and before there is confusion, this sensor does not even copy a fingerprint, so it can't send a copy of it anywhere), you would just have to store an encoded, or better hashed, value generated from this unique data. Identification is really not the problem here. The problem is rather if this concept makes any sense. Sure, you would (with quite a delay to download all the data for the other account,...
 I think it is totally possible that some things might come with point updates to iOS 7, at least for tablets they really seem to struggle a bit getting it ready.
 The "beacon" concept is really part of BLE (Bluetooth Low Energy). Apple has iBeacon, Sony has sBeacon... don't think it is "stealing" from Apple (or Sony for that matter), they just use the same technology to create little local network cells that do not require any configuration to connect users.
 Well, jailbreaking does not really help you with that either, as you still can't look into things happening inside compiled code. And, outside of people really knowing what they are doing (<1% of users, I would say), jailbreaking is a pretty foolproof way to make a device more vulnerable (default root password, disabling sandboxing, full file system access, ability to install potentially rogue apps using private APIs). Most proverbs only sound somewhat intelligent...
 I don't think having a fingerprint DB, or even transmitting the fingerprint would be a great approach. At least you can't ever change your fingerprints; having them compromised would be "forever". I do believe that you only authenticate yourself to your own device, and that the actual financial transaction does not rely on the fingerprint at all. (E.g. authorised devices using biometrics could be allowed to [optionally maybe] bypass the password step in current NFC...
 That used to be the case (still is with some legacy devices and contracts), but this has already been in steep decline since BB offered some almost true smartphones (like the Storm), which had 3G, full browsers etc. The old tariffs were made for devices with limited capabilities (and corporate mail being pretty much the only data service used). You do not get any corporate rates for a Z10/30 or a Q5/10 that you could not get for any other smartphone.
 The real problem here is that lazy IT deciders have been doing nothing else than copying BB's whitepapers to write up their own requirements when making procurements for years. For the companies not allowing BYOD and running on specs dictated by BB, there is no alternative - it's a self-fulfilling prophecy. (Just as you limit the choice of available server OSs dramatically, once you center your entire security model around Group Policies, no matter if you make any...
 OMG, I really wasted almost 5 minutes of my life trying to figure out wtf you are talking about...  Anyhow... may the schwarz be with you.
 Yep, that is how I understood it, too. But even if not, at least in the EU (I do not know the respective US laws well enough) the abuse of SEPs could indeed cause you to lose them, making them indeed free for everybody.