or Connect

Posts by dreyfus2

The US situation is (well, was, when I was in DC 6 weeks ago) that mobile phones are normally obtained from the carrier and that the selection is severely limited compared to Europe or Asia. Incoming calls count against the included minutes, prepaid tariffs are very high. According to my US friends (cannot say myself) there is literally no carrier which covers the entire country and the status of 3G coverage is laughable (their words, not mine). Call quality and drop outs...
Well, that is wrong. Competitors in Germany do operate, they do offer tariffs being as much as 70% lower in extreme cases and pretty much every single ruling of the government telecommunications regulation office has been against Telekom (the mother company of T-Mobile). This might be due to pressure from the EU commission, but as long as it works, fine. Telekom (even if partially owned by the government) lost around 2 million subscribers in 2007. We do have competition...
I see (do not know the French situation too well). In Germany the competition is actually showing some results, people changing providers is becoming more and more common, and especially voice flats and data tariffs are coming down quite rapidly (not far enough, but still...). In this climate (everybody is aware of that trend) people are even more unwilling to sign up for long-term contracts. In my very case the difference between the offical iPhone tariff and what I pay...
Makes good sense, but is actually more a point for not making exclusive agreements. Why voluntarily jump into the hot seat and annoy potential customers instead of throwing the hardware into the shark pool and let them damage each other (aka compete) for the benefit of the customer and subsequently Apple? Lower tariffs, less handcuffs, more sales and marketshare. If Apple would have charged a hundred bucks more for provider-independent models (instead of generating a...
There is certainly no problem with these partnerships where they are beneficial for Apple and the customer. I do think though that Apple underestimated the greed of the carriers. Neither T-Mobile in Germany, nor Orange in France, nor O2 in Ireland did make any effort to come up with really attractive tariffs. O2 in the UK did better and the numbers reflect it clearly. In Germany they may have sold around 100,000 - 150,000 iPhones officially (which is far below the iPhone's...
It will certainly not be world-wide exclusive, not even exclusive for Europe. But once they start selling unlocked phones anywhere in the world - this will pretty much be the beginning of the end for exclusive and locked phones everywhere (except maybe those countries with exclusive arrangements already in place, which is the highly interesting part here - the first will be last or so ).Of course they can limit sales per person, but limiting sales to Italian credit card...
Without nitpicking - yes, a sale constitutes a contract. In this case between me and the reseller (e.g. the operator of that newspaper stand). But besides that (District of Columbia Court of Appeals): "For there to be an enforceable contract, there must be mutual assent of each party to all of the essential terms of the contract..." This would at least require to be presented with terms and conditions - in quite some countries you can definitely get prepaid SIM cards...
Well, the PIN code, your own phone number and instructions for filling up the account are in the envelope. Nothing else needed. A lot of common prepaid providers do have refill self-service stations in selected supermarkets and public places (like railway stations and shopping malls) - just enter your phone number and slide in a credit card or cash - that's it. In some countries you are required to fax a copy of your ID or Passport to the provider, because legislation...
As an owner of a French unlocked iPhone, I can assure you they work absolutely everywhere with any SIM operating on a supported GSM band. There was a bug with the CallerID handling in Firmware 1.1.2 and earlier - since 1.1.3 the iPhone can be used with any SIM without jailbreaking. BTW, the unlocked iPhones sold in Germany for a short period of time do also work everywhere since 1.1.3.
You go to a newspaper stand or supermarket and buy a SIM, put it into the phone, and that's it. You do not sign nothing, so it is not a contract by any stretch. Buying the NYT or a chocolate bar does not constitute a contract either. The only exception is with buying subsidized phones for prepaid cards, in which case to have to sign a contract agreeing to the SIM-lock (and conditions for future unlocking, if applicable).