or Connect

Posts by dreyfus2

Well, this used to be true - since CCC is at 3.1 I never had these problems again. Unfortunately now it has a nasty bug with scheduled tasks - if the external drive is not available at backup time, it creates a folder with the same name under /Volumes and fills your disk neatly.
You are making the big mistake of using reason here. Apple fanboys will justify any nonsense on Apple's behalf, even if a deaf, dumb and blind person would be able to identify them as nonsense. People list what they need FW for (all reasonable) and get all kinds of friendly condescending bullshit: Move your FW disks into a USB case, buy a bigger Mac, buy a heavier Mac, buy a more expensive Mac, buy an old Mac, use eBay, get an engineering degree and mess with the guts of...
Hmm, have you looked at something like http://www.bombich.com/software/netrestore.html - just carry an Airport Extreme, hook up the machine in question to the network and install away?
Well, I have received an offer today with the 2GB RAM, 250 GB HD configuration for a total of 1450 USD (including 3 year international warranty) from my dealer. And, no matter how I look at it, it is tempting. It is smaller than any Apple notebook in existence, it has more features than even the 17" MacBook Pro and Lenovo at least has working support in Germany (Apple's in Germany is not even laughable). It does have Bluetooth and an integrated Webcam, the GPU is not...
I did not mean to say you were making something up - if it did sound like that I do apologize. I just assume that the reasoning may be flawed, in a sense of confusing cause and effect. A system restore for sure does not fail because of a dropping data rate - that is technically impossible, I have restored systems through coupled dial-up connections using Ghost - no USB drive can be any slower. There must be a reason for the drop and the failure and it is not unlikely to be...
??? Pardon, I am not sure I can make any sense out of this... Apple is out of control designing their own notebooks? (Well, uh, whatever. In this case it does make sense to talk 15 minutes about torturing aluminum instead...) Every single Apple user I know is using Firewire - and even if you only use it once to transfer your data and settings from the previous Mac... so the real figure should be closer to 100% than 2%. And performing this transfer over LAN/WiFi is not an...
1/2 Jeff is right. It works without problems IF the disk has been formatted with the correct partition map. Nothing happens when the framerate drops - it even works over WiFi... speed is completely irrelevant for data transfers (if you are patient). And yes, I have tried it. You cannot get into target disk mode via USB though. 3 is a valid point.
This non-argument is getting o-so-long in the tooth... I can happily spend 10,000 USD on a laptop if it meets my requirements - I do have the 17" MBP with all the toppings (320GB 7200 RPM HD, 4GB RAM, 1920x1200 highres display). No way in hell I would lug around this gorgeous laptop for video shooting. It is too big, too heavy and I do not require any of its power on the road. The fact is that other computer makers can make 10" or 12" models with some means of expansion....
We have not been talking about UVC-DV and HD is completely irrelevant here, as with all consumer devices it is compressed and there is no realtime capturing required, so yes, you can have a million HD streams going through USB... it will take time, but it will work. Standard definition from a DV camcorder has to be captured in realtime and the device mentioned in the original post is not sufficient to capture Standard Definition DV under OS X. We have purchased it from...
Well, you do everything to prove your complete and utter lack of knowledge, don't you? The HV20 is less than 2 years old (and won about every review and comparison in existence), the HV30 (equally highly praised) is current. The majority of MiniDV based STANDARD DEFINITION camcorders on the market does not support capturing via USB, with HDV it is not a problem as HDV is not captured, it is only a data transfer. All these cameras (and several from Sony, Panasonic, JVC etc)...