or Connect

Posts by dreyfus2

Sorry, I was too unspecific - I meant it is not there for consumer budgets. I love P2 (and my HVX), but it is not at all consumer technology and while it works great in news gathering (short shots), its usefulness dwindles a bit when doing long shots in the field. Getting 8 minutes of footage on a 1200 USD card is getting painful at some point (prices may be a bit lower by now, I bought the HVX the moment it was released). If you re-use cards in the field after capturing...
Well, it does work fine with supported camcorders, yes. Unfortunately this does not include all models on the market, not even all models from the top 5 manufacturers (and it gets even worse with camcorders using optical media). This might/should improve in the future, but going back to a point where we have to check each and every device for OS X compatibiliy before making a purchase is not really progress, or?!Until less than a year ago MiniDV-based camcorders where the...
I see. Well that is really just data transfer and it would even work via USB 1.1 because the speed is completely irrelevant for data integrity, with SD capturing realtime is mandatory. Yes the industry is moving to solid storage (without solving the backup / storage problem at reasonable cost like tapes did), just it is not there yet. OS X / iMovie / FCE only support a handful of non-tape devices and not even all manufacturers do provide QT-plugins to make the conversion...
From a camera (which camera) or just transferring data off memory (P2 or similar) - the latter is not capturing? I highly doubt that. I get occasional audio sync errors capturing DVCPRO HD even using FW400... (but I am talking 1080p here)... Only when using a FW800 disk on a second bus it does work at all.
You have positively no idea whatyou are talking about. Not the faintest clue... 2) I cannot carry a Mac Pro, Mini or iMac around in my video backpack which weighs 80 lbs already. The MacBook is not cheap - it is something like 100% more expensive than competitive laptops on the market (that may be uglier and do not have a Unibody, sure, but many other features Apple users will not see in a decade). With most laptops I can add least add a FW-port using the PCMCIA or...
I am doing videos for a living. You cannot capture DV via USB and the FW-to-USB adapter mentioned does not even provide the full USB 2.0 bandwidth (it may be able to sustain 80-100 Mbps, assuming the CPU is not stalling, which in reality does happen).
1. Does not work under OS X, 2. Is too slow to capture MiniDV even under Windows (dropped frames will result in footage that cannot be edited later on, but it's a nice waste of time).
Well, a few things: - I think this answer (assuming it is legit) is rude - Jobs is, as usual in most current statements, plain wrong. Even HDV camcorders being as current and best-selling as the Canon HV20 do only use FW for transfer (the USB port is for stills only), who buys a 1k camcorder just for lousy stills? - A lot of more professional camcorders (well up into the 20k range) still depend on FW for capturing of SD material - with HD(V) capturing does not require...
You are comparing a 6-bit TN-panel with less colors and far less color accuracy with conventional CCFL-backlight to a S-IPS display with LED backlight here... 14ms is more than fast enough and 1000:1 is absolutely sufficient for creative work (in a dim room with no direct light even 400:1 is plenty, none of our older NEC and EIZO TFTs have more than 700:1 and every single one of them outclasses anything Acer has ever built). 900 bucks for a 24" S-IPS with LED backlight is...
Well, the missing trackpad button is not bothering me - I have the current 17" model and I would prefer to have it removed. It is good for nothing and only makes using gestures harder. Other thoughts: - No more sleep light? (Shame if so) - Optical drive on the side = less useful on full desks, no more handy USB ports on both sides? - I hope the keyboard is better than on the MBA - the current MBP keyboard was perfection, black keyboards are butt ugly. - Who wants...