or Connect

Posts by dreyfus2

It will certainly not be world-wide exclusive, not even exclusive for Europe. But once they start selling unlocked phones anywhere in the world - this will pretty much be the beginning of the end for exclusive and locked phones everywhere (except maybe those countries with exclusive arrangements already in place, which is the highly interesting part here - the first will be last or so ).Of course they can limit sales per person, but limiting sales to Italian credit card...
Without nitpicking - yes, a sale constitutes a contract. In this case between me and the reseller (e.g. the operator of that newspaper stand). But besides that (District of Columbia Court of Appeals): "For there to be an enforceable contract, there must be mutual assent of each party to all of the essential terms of the contract..." This would at least require to be presented with terms and conditions - in quite some countries you can definitely get prepaid SIM cards...
Well, the PIN code, your own phone number and instructions for filling up the account are in the envelope. Nothing else needed. A lot of common prepaid providers do have refill self-service stations in selected supermarkets and public places (like railway stations and shopping malls) - just enter your phone number and slide in a credit card or cash - that's it. In some countries you are required to fax a copy of your ID or Passport to the provider, because legislation...
As an owner of a French unlocked iPhone, I can assure you they work absolutely everywhere with any SIM operating on a supported GSM band. There was a bug with the CallerID handling in Firmware 1.1.2 and earlier - since 1.1.3 the iPhone can be used with any SIM without jailbreaking. BTW, the unlocked iPhones sold in Germany for a short period of time do also work everywhere since 1.1.3.
You go to a newspaper stand or supermarket and buy a SIM, put it into the phone, and that's it. You do not sign nothing, so it is not a contract by any stretch. Buying the NYT or a chocolate bar does not constitute a contract either. The only exception is with buying subsidized phones for prepaid cards, in which case to have to sign a contract agreeing to the SIM-lock (and conditions for future unlocking, if applicable).
A prepaid contract is an oxymoron. Prepaid customers do avoid contracts.
Well, actually it did win one of the most prestiguos industrial design awards, the iF product design award 2008. Interestingly though: the award explanation mainly talks about the keyboard?!I do agree with you, breaking the strict two-colour design of the white model and replacing it with this consumer TV design with non-matching keycaps, mouse and cable colours, that obscene black Apple logo and that cheap plastic back is only different, but certainly not better. Still,...
What do I miss here? You do not need the beta nor the certificate to develop applications - all you need is the SDK which is freely available. A venture capital company like KPCB will require a concept, a business plan etc. but certainly no running application (and even IF they require a demonstration of any kind, you can bring your laptop with the SDK installed and show everything using the simulator). Do we have "find the catch" season?It took hackers less than three...
No, I am in the dimension in which Firefox is already one of the slowest browsers on any platform - and Safari the fastest on the two platforms it covers, Firefox (and the rest of the Mozilla gang) do not even render CSS in form elements correctly - so it does not show me pages as they have been designed. So, I have no need for it - not on OS X, not on iPhone OS and not on Windows. Anyhow - Apple does not disallow browsers in the terms - if they compile Firefox in a way...
Well, the way I understood the keynote only Apple will add the required signature to the code after it has been submitted to the App Store and the iPhone OS 2.0 will only run properly signed applications. So, IMHO, no - they cannot.