or Connect

Posts by dreyfus2

The real problem here is that lazy IT deciders have been doing nothing else than copying BB's whitepapers to write up their own requirements when making procurements for years. For the companies not allowing BYOD and running on specs dictated by BB, there is no alternative - it's a self-fulfilling prophecy. (Just as you limit the choice of available server OSs dramatically, once you center your entire security model around Group Policies, no matter if you make any...
 OMG, I really wasted almost 5 minutes of my life trying to figure out wtf you are talking about...  Anyhow... may the schwarz be with you.
 Yep, that is how I understood it, too. But even if not, at least in the EU (I do not know the respective US laws well enough) the abuse of SEPs could indeed cause you to lose them, making them indeed free for everybody.
 iCloud is no solution when you don't have 3G (at least), it is no solution when your tariff is capped at 200 MB, and when (as quite common in Asia) corporate WLANs won't allow your personal devices on it (unless you are important). My current main customer is an Indian company with 11k+ seats. Only C-level admins get 3G, other managers have to do with 2.5G/EDGE. Departments with over 200 people share a 4 Mbit/s line (for desktops and mobiles) and almost nobody has a...
 I have seen quite a few US companies "integrating" European workers, and the mileage did vary a lot. A lot of US banks and tobacco companies were extremely good at that and used a cautious approach, I also had the luck to work for PanAm as my first employer (1984-91), and despite their financial situation and declining reputation they were nothing else but excellent with us. But I have also seen the exact opposite, Delta being the all-time low (they did have some form of...
 I am not so sure. The "C" targets several markets where people do not buy a lot of content and apps, and even quite a few are not even on 3G. Getting to the lowest possible entry price makes a lot of sense (and it does not keep them from offering higher capacity models). And while I do not see Apple doubling storage space for $20 or $30, I have to agree with Timbit that they have to do "something" at some point. Either double the entry-level storage at the same price (as...
 We will all find out when MS will launch the, inevitable, attack on the Moto-X. Google's idea to bypass the ITC (and give it a patriotic twist) by assembling the device in the US... will have MS go ballistic. People, stash popcorn.
 Sorry to say, but the EU fine will not be anywhere around 10% of annual revenues. This only ever happens when companies continue their misconduct once an investigation has been opened. They were clever enough to withdraw all claims immediately once this happened. It is pretty hard to estimate the fine under these circumstances, but even if they are found to be "guilty", the limit would normally be around 3-5% of revenues in affected member countries (can be as low as 1%...
 Well, ad the subsidies MS was paying Nokia ($1 bn p.a. since announcing the partnership in 2011), which will not be returned, marketing support (unknown, some analysts put it at $3 bn for WP7 and WP8), and the $16 bn MSFT stock dropped immediately after announcing the deal, just to acquire a company that makes higher losses in a year than what Moto lost since Google acquired them and losing the only relevant WP licensee at one fell swoop... I would have second thoughts...
 Agree with the first part, but what would a stylus be good for? Seeing more of an email, or reading more web pages without pinching and panning... would be more than useful enough. And I admit that as somebody not even wanting a bigger iPhone.  Who said that the 5C will be "non-profit"? Or even "cheap"? There is a lot of room to make a profitable phone below $649. Actually, the 5C might even carry a higher margin than a soon last-gen iPhone 5 (as this one is terribly...