or Connect

Posts by jmcglinn

Thank you. I was clicking on the window border, which is already at it's minimum '1'. I didn't know about there was a Border Padding hiding in there. Now if Windows could get on screen display of fonts to look better. All the cleartype settings are just variations of still not quite right. Maybe Microsoft could hire an Apple employee or two since Apple just picked up 2 AMD and 1 MS employee.
I'm away from my Windows 7 machine, but I think the Aero Basic looked the same...just no transparency. Some would say Aero is ugly, but some would say the OS X glassy marble stop-light adorned windows are ugly too. It may have been different in Vista, but I don't have Vista installed now (same machine that runs Win7 now). I tried changing the size as you describe very early on. Works fine in classic mode, but not with Aero. Again this could be different in Vista, a friend...
Maybe we'll see a Mac...and the entry MacPro can go away. The entry MacPro is overpriced by about $1000. Don't beleive me? Build one on NewEgg...I did (with a Core i7 920 instead of Xeon W3520...it doesn't matter they're the same cost/1000). http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/Pu...umber=10623612 The old MacPro was expensive and the dual socket MacPro is still going to be expensive. The entry model is a bad joke. Four memory slots? Hello triple channel, please to...
Use the Windows Aero Basic theme, it takes away the annoying translucent title bars. Before I found that I couldn't stand the Vista/Win7 windows. I found this in Windows 7. I'll admit I used Windows Classic (2000 look) in Vista after being annoyed by the translucency. Having switched from Windows to OS X for a daily driver at home a number of years ago I find the newer MS Windows Windows to be too decorated. The extra width of the borders takes significant space making it...
Are we talking about the plugs or the receptacles? Neither are particularly hard to wire, especially when you graduate to the quality parts. Screw-down wire clamps for me, none of this wrapping wires around screws or flimsy spring loaded push-in connections please. Might cost a few dollars instead of $0.79, but I know it will last.
I don't think Apple is interested in licensing MagSafe...SJ, when introducing MagSafe on the MacBook Pro said something to the effect of "and we patented the heck out of this." Your profile says WA, but that can't be Washington, United States, Earth because "Durable & Efficient" and Apple don't really go together. Just about everyone I know has had an Apple power supply fail. I haven't had one fail, but I also gave up on using the wire-manglement tabs on the power...
Why not a MINI? Then you can choose your own monitor. A BMW to be less problematic than a Chevy? Well I know you don't own a BMW because that's just funny.
Ever try Leopard on an Atom? The Hackintosh folks have run Leopard on the Intel D945GCLF board (ATOM 1.6 GHz, single core, hyperthreaded). I actually built one with 2gb of memory and an old slow hard drive to try it out. It's a sub $250 computer. Leopard is quite responsive. Boot time is about 40 seconds from power on to desktop (including 4-5 seconds waiting in the boot loader). Safari and iTunes are responsive. I wouldn't try to cut video or work manage a photo library,...
Trying to be everything to everyone is certainly stretching them pretty badly. Microsoft is always concerned with backwards compatibility. You can run a DOS program from 1988 on a brand new Vista computer. Windows APIs from the the start all work. Microsoft gives away VirtualPC. What they need to do is build WindowsLite and package it up with VirtualPC and ship it in Windows7 or probably for them Windows 8 or 9. Start clean and strip out everything but the win32/win64 apis...
I have a machine running Vista and it's okay. Not the fastest machine around, but it was pretty much the sweet spot last year (Core 2 Duo 2.4/2gb/nividia 7600). Vista runs fine and I can't complain too much (after turning off the security warning feature). Vista has a heavier feel than Mac OS X and the sidebar thing (it's name escapes me) takes up a chunk of space on smaller monitors. I prefer using my Mac now because I've gotten used to the keyboard short cuts and prefer...