or Connect

Posts by addicted44

I think the iPhone 6 will wow with/without eWallet. However, as another commentator points out, Apple does not necessarily need to do this with NFC itself. It could use WiFi/Bluetooth instead (although the handshake requirements here would be annoying...Apple could potentially create a different spec which avoids the handshake, for an automatic authentication).   Look at Passbook for example. In its currently advertised form, it does not require NFC, but still does a lot...
This...NFC is not worth it right now. There are too many standards, it is insecure, and hardly any retailer (outside Japan) uses it.   My issue is that, at least in the US, Apple is the one company that can change this. Google pushed NFC a year ago, and it has barely made a difference. The same won't be true of Apple. If Apple pushes NFC, retailers will follow.   Creating markets is what Apple is good at. NFC is a real opportunity for them here, and I find it frustrating...
Someone should pass this study along to Tim Cook and Browett.   I may not buy my mac/iphone at the Apple store, but a significant reason why I buy them at all is because of the Apple Store.   Although the geniuses are anything but, they are extremely helpful, even going so far as to recommending a 3rd party repair service when they could not guarantee repairs before I needed to travel. That is a major factor in my buying Macs, and not random PCs, or even getting...
Agreed. That blatant bit of dishonesty would have been too much for anybody.I think the reality is that dishonesty is ingrained in Samsung's culture. We are all hearing about this now because the smartphone space is really heavily covered by the media. In reality, Samsung has been doing this for a long time, except earlier they used to copy more boring products like refrigerators and air conditioners.
I think Apple really benefited with this case being tried in Silicon Valley, because as a result the jury consisted of largely tech savvy people, who would not fall for the whole "iPhone is the only way to design a phone" claptrap Samsung was presenting.
It is clear that Tim Cook has made a terrible hire. However, anyone can make mistakes. What is important is how fast Cook moves to fix his mistake. If this guy, who clearly has nothing Apple in his DNA is not gone soon (maybe wait till after the iPhone5 release, because changing retail chiefs before then will be a huge risk) then I have to seriously question Tim Cook's leadership.
I find the juxtaposition of the changes to System Preferences, and the changes to the Finder over the last few OS revisions very interesting. Shows a bit of a schizophrenic Apple. System Preferences continues to move away from text on ly labels, adding colorful, and even realisting icons for finding the Preference you want. Finder, OTOH, has constantly been dropping color, and been making distinguishing between stuff even harder. I hope Apple, over the next few OS...
The iPod Touch is not threatened at all. For one thing, the iPod Touch actually fits in pockets.The Tegra CPU might blow away the A5, but modern OSes (especially mobile ones) do very little with the CPU. The majority of the processing work is related to the graphics, which is offloaded to the GPU, and no Android device has a GPU comparable to the GPU in the iPad 2, let alone the iPad 3.Despite that, I do think Apple needs to be worried about the iPad. The reality is that...
Technically voluntary, but essentially involuntary. When you switch on location services, it will ask you to agree to sending anonymous location info for diagnostics and usage patterns.You agree to switch on location services, and if you disagree, "No Locations Services For You!" :-)
This is actually extremely exciting. It means that now multiple sources (your local mass transit providers, an enterprising citizen, and entrepreneurial developer) can all provide the information which feeds into the Maps app, and the user can then pick and choose the one that provides the best info.What this means is that I can theoretically use Google's transit information while in NYC, and Nokia Maps while in the middle of Europe.