or Connect

Posts by addicted44

This is a complete catchup update, except for the following few things: 1) Android on Google TV (but you still have to create new widgets, but it beats Apple TV with no widgets, in this regard). 2) Guarantee of 18 months updates. The real question is when those 18 months begin, and how this guarantee retards development. 3) The open nature of the Accessories. This will make Android really popular with hobbyists, which is important because it will be these kids...
If Apple expands FaceTime to cover everything Skype does (Audio only calls and multiplatform, mostly), it will be able to beat Skype quite easily, IMO. Especially now that Skype is aligned with MS, and will have inevitable transitional pains.
I am honestly surprised Google opted to build this on Flash. I understood the support for Flash on Android, since it provided them with a differentiator. But I thought they were genuine about their like for open technologies. Amazon has shown that you obviously don't need Flash to build such a service, and to see Google go towards flash is just really surprising to me. I guess Google is in completely "all hands on deck" mode as far as Android is concerned. Nevermind...
In other words, why is Apple behaving like a well functioning firm, when it has the money to behave arrogant and stupidly, and throw away all that money. This is why MS is in the mess it is. They knew that the Windows/Office monopolies would keep the coffers full, which meant they made terrible decisions in nearly everything they did (e.g., losing billions on XBox, losing billions in online, falling far far behind in mobile so they could protect the Windows legacy of the...
++++ Some times I wonder if the reflexively anti-apple trolls on this forum even bother to read the article before trolling about it.
The irony of course was that all this attention was in a period of weeks where: 1) Sony's networks were miserably hacked, and it was revealed they were saving private data (not financial though) in plain text. 2) Sony's networks were hacked again, and it was revealed that they were saving data for accounts created before 2007 (not sure about the exact year/date) in plain text, and that those credit card details were stolen. 3) TomTom was revealed to have sold location...
I am sure intel realizes that if they are manufacturing for apple already, the moment they have a design that can compete with ARM apple would pick it up and there'd would be no quicker way for intel to become a player in this market than to nab the iPhone/iPad business. Intel emphasized when announcing that they would supply chips for the Mac that the biggest reason they wanted to partner with apple was the opportunity to easily bring new technology to the market. Eg....
That makes little sense. 1) apple is unlikely to have much that intel coul learn in the chip design business. Intel could easily design an ARM processor which would be better than any other in a couple of years. The reason they don't do this is because they want to establish x86 as the mobile platform because there are hardly any x86 competitors as opposed to the 100s in the ARM design space. 2) Intel is not going to risk the millions and billions they are getting from...
Adobe is a company that makes great tools, especially for designers and the like. The problem was that they had this crazy Microsoftian idea where they could also usurp the internet, and make it a Flash enclave. The quicker they get rid of their "world domination" plans, and the faster they return to their roots, the better off they will be. Its the Macromedia in Adobe that is hurting them.
The filesystem is a terrible way to organize data. It was brilliant at the time it was created, considering the hardware, software, and educational constraints people faced at the time, but it is well beyond its prime now. Even MS realizes this, which is why they made the huge push towards WinFS (which was more of a relational database, than a FS). Unfortunately, they could not achieve this lofty goal. Apple has tried it marginally on the Mac, through the APIs they have...