or Connect

Posts by addicted44

This sounds awfully like Java. In sw development its not programming that is difficult, but rather testing. That was java's problem. It was write once, debug everywhere. Of co ruse that is not completely analogous because the majority of browsers nowadays run on webkit. Unfortunately though the biggest market share is with ie followeb by Mozzila's gecko engine. It's only in the mobile space that webkit dominates. It will. E interesting to see how this plays out. I...
The loan was complete PR nonsense. Apple had enough money in the bank. It didn't need a loan. However, what it did need, was to reassure its customers that MS would still be developing Office for the Mac. And what MS needed was to reassure anti-trust official that the Mac was still a viable competitor. Both sides got the PR boost they needed, so it was a great mutual transaction.
Well, if thats the plan, then:http://arstechnica.com/microsoft/new...oft-to-end.ars will make them a lot happier.
True story. I have a couple of friends (both dislike Apple) who bought Android phones. HTC G2 (TMobile) and the latest Droid from Verizon. These are smart technical folks (both SW devs). And they cant figure the phones out. Both of them had the Contacts import completely screwing up phone numbers. I was pretty astonished to hear this, because I thought Android was largely stable. But reality is that its not. Its just that no one ever seems to report on this (well, I...
Umm....no... Its marketshare, not total sales that have dropped. The holiday quarter will affect ALL phones the same way. Holiday quarter has nothing to do with it. Its completely due to increased demand for the iPhone, as evidenced by its 9 point rise. The question for Apple is if this can be sustained, or if it was just pent up demand. However, I think the real competition will begin once the iPhone 5 is available, because iPhone 4 sales are seriously dampened due to...
The Android platform did grow. It just lost ground in marketshare. This happened because the market as a whole grew. Basically, earlier it was 53% of X. Now it is 50% X + Y, where Y is large enough that their sales are greater than they were the last year.
"The most common uses for a tablet -- which Canalys refers to as "pads" -- are Web browsing, e-mail and messaging, and social networking." This is certainly true for my personal anecdote. The iPad is not a "media" device. It is truly a computer. My laptop usage has essentially just been reduced to downloading the latest Ubuntu torrent and SW development.
Yup....There is a huge difference. These are locally stored files (on your computer) which after the bug causing the data to be saved for 1 year, uptil 7 years, would probably have increased in size by a few mb. Its the same data, just that the automatic cache flushing algorithm was wrong. OTOH, Google was picking up data that was completely irrelevant, and they didn't need in the first place. They specifically had to write code for it, it being something they didn't...
Wasn't it Engadget which had switched off their comments for a month, because they were getting so ridiculous?
This is a solid response. Ideally it would have come a few days earlier, but I appreciate Apple taking the time to figure out all the issues, and giving a detailed in depth response. They indicated there were 2 bugs. (1) They were saving the data for far too long. They have responsibly stated that this should be limited to 7 days, and will fix it. (2) They have identified that they are responsible for a lack of communication (phrased as education by them) with the user...