or Connect

Posts by addicted44

How about WP7? Or WebOS?Both have shown a very different UI is plausible (and I will admit that I much prefer WebOS, minus the lack of ecosystem, and the poor HW, but dislike WP7 coz its too swipey).However, Google, and Android, chose to simply copy iOS.Whether Apple wins the case is a big question mark, because I don't think there have been many successful lawsuits in the "look and feel" space. However, its ridiculous to deny the complete ripoff Android was (and the iOS...
Are you referring to Jobs's truck quote? Well, its hard to deny that he is wrong. For example, Japan has already bypassed the PC, and most people there do the majority of their computing on their cellphones (this was even before the iPhone). The problem is that people with little financial sense (which, unfortunately, most tech folks are) are trying to estimate Apple's future actions on the basis of finances. Lets assume, for argument's sake, that the mac reduces to just...
Ummm..This is no outcome. And if you are going by the nokia case, there the judge ruled in the opposite direction as the itc staff recommendations. The itc is a political body more than anything else. Most of these recommendations are not very useful.And anyone else see the irony of HTC saying in their defense that they have been in the smartphone space much longer than apple and then talking about how they and Google have been pioneering? Besides, HTC's presence in the...
Great point. I will add to your addition (!) that unlike their HW, where Apple makes anywhere between 25-40% margins, we KNOW that Apple makes a maximum of 30% (-delivery costs, -credit card fees) margin on the iTunes sales. But these facts have no influence on the true believers of the "Apple will sabotage many billions of dollars in HW, for a few measly millions on content" theory.
Apple's Sep '10 annual breakdown iPhone - ~25Bn Mac - ~17.5Bn iPod - ~8.2Bn iPad - ~5Bn (note, iPad was sold only half this period, and was massively supply constrained). For comparison, Apple's Sep '07 (when the iPhone was just released) Mac revenues were ~10.3Bn. IOW, the Mac has grown a tremendous 70% in <3 years. But the iPhone and the iPad have just exploded.
This can't be true. Some posters on the interwebs have made it clear that Apple thinks that there is no future/money in Mac OS X. If this was true, those people were obviously talking out of their a***s. Which obviously never happens on the interwebs.
I agree with you. I don't see how that diminishes the differences between offensive/defensive lawsuits. 1) I agree that the only reason that companies (including Apple) don't file more "offensive" patent lawsuits is because it doesn't make financial sense. Like I have said repeatedly in this thread, if it did make financial sense, it would be illegal for the executives to not pursue it. So the fact that Google has not filed many offensive patent lawsuits, is meaningless...
I think its amazing that people still try to deny this. This was the Dec 2007, Google Android prototype...http://gizmodo.com/#!334909/google-a...pe-in-the-wild
I largely agree. However, the driving point in that lawsuit is not the patents themselves, but rather the fact that the "inferior" quality of those products damaged Apple's products, opening Apple to liability. This was a direct response to "glassgate", where some badly produced 3rd party covers were damaging the iPhone, exposing the iPhone to a ton of negative publicity, and Apple to lawsuits. The lawsuit was an attempt to prevent the sales of these damaging products. I...
Apple was simply outmaneuvered by Google in the Admob acquisition. I doubt frugality had anything to do with it. Its no surprise they went and hired a pretty senior lawyer to work on their acquisition strategy right after the loss of Admob. Not sure about the Palm acquisition, since there is very little information about it (including whether Apple had a serious offer to actually acquire Palm). But I see your point. Apple has never really used its money to simply acquire...