or Connect

Posts by addicted44

There are literally only a few reasons to buy something other than an iPad 2 RIGHT NOW (to emphasize that I am talking about the current market). 1) Form factor (this may be a reason to go for the Tab over the iPad 2, but not the Xoom). 2) Openness (You (a) have moral reasons to only buy open, or (b) think its a more successful model in the long run) 3) Flash (You cannot live without Flash) 4) You are an Apple hater (these exist. Just like quite a few mac buyers were MS...
I remember this one guy on ArsTechnica's forums saying that he would have bought an iPad 2 if it had improved battery life instead of thickness. He said because Apple didn't do that, he was going to buy a Xoom instead. The kicker? Xoom - 8 hrs under heavy use. iPad 2 - 10 hours...http://androidcommunity.com/motorola...ad-2-20110302/
I think iOS5 will be critical. There are a few minor gaps in the iOS platform which Google has exploited (notifications being the elephant in the room). Apple can absolutely kill Android with a nice new iOS release in a month.
While I would like it if all websites were accessible (no matter how terrible they may be, but sometimes I really need that restaurant's number) the fact is that Flash is dying a slow death ONLY because iOS does not support it. If iOS did, Flash would not be going away the way it is now. That death has been prolonged, because Google, the "Do No Evil" "Open" lovers, decided that a closed proprietary platform was actually the best Internet platform, all technical and design...
Why is anyone using Front Row with Boxee, Plex, XBMC all available on the mac?
Rubbish. He does overhype stuff, but barely to that extent. 1) The iPhone was indeed a jaw-dropper, and was indeed revolutionary. You just need to compare the mobile industry from Feb 2007 to Feb 2011, and see the complete change in the industry (no more Palm...Motorola is struggling...Nokia is not making any more SW, etc..) 2) The iPad was revolutionary. You just need to see what every other computer maker is doing to see how true that is. 3) The App Store is...
The Intel + Apple combination can be sufficient to push this: 1) Intel makes it all really cheap, by providing the controllers in their chipsets itself. 2) Apple can push it by (a) bringing it to the market. Apple commanding the majority of the premium market (where peripheral sales are likely to be reasonably high) means that a lot of peripheral makers are going to target this. Consider a scenario where Seagate is selling only USB3 drives, but Western Digital has...
This is really simple folks... 1) Verizon has already had 2 online launches before this. 2) Sales are spread between Apple/Verizon/Best Buy/Walmart 3) The hardcore Apple fans are probably on ATT already 4) People found out about this 1 month ago. They are still waiting to get done with their 2 year contracts to upgrade (even the original iPhone had a 6 month warning, so folks whose contracts were ending in the 6 months preceding the launch could wait for it. For...
Wow...kinda puts Apple's growth in the last 3 years into perspective...
Its not the OS. The fact is that the baseband is completely abstracted away. The network chip has enough wrappers, that no one, outside the people creating the wrappers, cares about which network its actually running on.