or Connect

Posts by addicted44

Its funny when Android fanboys argue iPhone vs Android marketshare. There are 2 things that can be compared here: 1) The Hardware. 2) The Sowftware. When you are comparing the Hardware, no single other Android phone (or family of phones) comes even close to the iPhone. However, Android fanboys like to combine all smartphones running Android, and present them as a single competitor against the iPhone, nevermind that they are being manufactured by 4-5 different firms,...
That is all true. However, I would argue, that the iPhone sales are no longer because of the iPhone OS, but rather, due to the great integration Apple provides with the iTunes Store, the quality HW, and due to the App based network effects. While these can all rightly be considered part of the iPhone OS, they are replicable in other OSes. The iPhone OS by itself, as shortly as when 3.0 was released, was a class apart from Android even without considering the huge...
So basically there are a few races here: 1) iPhone vs. Verizon vs. Google vs. Blackberry The Blackberry is the clear winner. I also don't see how it will be dethroned. I think people consistently ignore how powerful an effect BBM is on Blackberry sales. However, looking at 2nd place, the iPhone has the clear edge here. Apple is just trumping everyone in this case. Verizon is doing well in second place, but thats not too impressive considering they are essentially...
Except, it most likely wont be part of the HTML5 standard. The WHATWG group (the one with all the browsers as members, and which has really driven development of HTML5) seems to be okay with not specifying a codec in the standard. I think the W3C will also do the same. Also, its not like there isn't a precedent for this. Consider the IMG tag. You can post JPEG, GIF, PNG, or any other image format you would like. It all works. The same should/will be true of the video...
Except what you said is false. H.264 is NOT part of HTML5 (which is why Firefox can continue supporting it, without being non-open). And as Steve correctly states, it is an Industry Standard (which is also true, and not true of Flash). Also, the only "open" alternative to H.264 until a couple of weeks ago was Ogg-Theora. This was a non-starter because of mainly extremely poor HW support, and almost non-existent quantity of content (how much of Youtube is Theora? Ans:...
Nokia makes great HW (as in quality, and pricing). Their biggest problem is they don't have good SW to go with their HW. And yes, those disgusting designs did make it to market. But those were probably a few of the many 100s of phones they created. That is kinda important when you are in pretty much every country in the world, and are catering to local markets with different demands. Which is why Nokia is still so huge all over the world (except US, where they never...
Anyone who thinks Nokia used to be crap forever doesn't know anything. Or else has only been in the US, where customers had to deal with locked-down crappy LG/Samsung phones while the rest of the world was enjoying great (at the time) Nokia phones. However, they forgot what made their stuff great (really really simple to use. The Nokia 3210 family ushered a new generation of simplicity in phones in the mid-late 90's with their single button interface). Nokia's biggest...
Bob Iger at ABC has been one of the fastest moving execs in the TV industry. Don't forget that ABC was the first one to offer TV shows on iTunes, before Jobs ever owned a single share in Disney. I don't think the Disney-Jobs-Apple connection had as much to do with ABC being there with an app, as much as the fact that ABC simply believed in the iPad's success.
ARM has one of the best business models in the business. All they do is create the designs, and sell them to others, who then have to invest in actually building those chips. That being said, I can't see how Apple would prevent a PA Semi style outflow of engineers if they acquired ARM? I think it would not be smart of Apple to stop them from selling to competitors (for employee morale, as well as anti-trust reasons). A better idea might be to continue selling designs...
I think thats a really great idea. I cant remember the last time I used the SuperDrive, and even the pros who need to use it, are unlikely to use it while traveling. Its pretty much become only a home/office use deal, a need which should be met quite well by an external drive.