or Connect

Posts by addicted44

They will need to install a different radio chip for TMobile, but not many other changes (TMobile uses the same GSM tech, but at a different frequency). I think the "technical challenges" are way overrated. It involves changing one aspect of the network stack, and the critical part (i.e. the software) is unlikely to require too many changes, since its using TCP/IP anyways, and nothing that is based on GSM (although, its possible that some of the S/W optimizations that...
Pretty much a wild guess. However, the two flimsy bits of grounding is the #4, and the pretty short notice they have given media firms. Normally, Apple likes to give much greater notice, and reap the advertising benefits of the speculations leading upto it. Alternatively, the short time may be explained by the recent iPad launch event. The rumors reached an insane level which no product was ever going to meet, which Apple may have felt led to a lot of unmet...
While Apple will preview iPhone OS 4.0 on Apr 8, I think a bigger deal will be that Apple will reveal the iPhone will be available on all 4! major US carriers from Summer 2010 onwards. They probably just came to a deal with the last carrier this weekend, which is why the invites are being sent just 3 days before the event. I don't think its much of a stretch that Apple is cheekily referring to 4 as in iPhone OS 4.0, but also as in 4 carriers (AT&T, Verizon, Sprint,...
I don't think thats true. At least as long as the iPhone was only EDGE, TMobile networks could run the iPhone as well as AT&T's networks. (I am not a 100%, but I believe iPhones cannot use TMobile's 3G spectrum). If technological hurdles were the only thing holding Apple to AT&T, they would certainly be on AT&T already. With so many non-Apple phones being sold in both CDMA and GSM versions (as well as a few phones which contain both chips at the same time!), I fail to...
I don't understand the crowd that insists that there will be no iPhone for Verizon until LTE is rolled out. Apparently Google can, working with HTC and Motorola release phones which work on many multiple networking technologies, but Apple can't achieve this simple task in 3 years? The only reason Apple wont sell on Verizon will be contractual, and not technological. Adding CDMA will be one of the easier things Apple would have done, since it involves changing only one part...
When it was first released, I struggled to figure out why I should buy it. In the intervening months, there have been many occasions when I have gone "an iPad right now would have been awesome!". 1) Surfing the net while watching TV (posting on sports forums while watching games, looking up channels, actor info, etc.) 2) Bedtime news reading. I love going through my rss feeds before sleeping, and doing it while laying on the bed would be awesome. 3) Reading...
The HTC lawsuit is really simple: 1) Apple wont sue Nokia (well, they are, but its a countersuit) and Motorola because they have deep patent portfolios for phones. 2) Apple wont sue MSFT because they can countersue on pretty much any basis. 3) Apple wont sue Palm, because they have deep patent portfolios and because they have actually created a unique interface in the Pre. 4) Apple does want to sue Google, because the Android is a complete ripoff (go look at leaded...
I think the reason is probably because Apple expected a similar attach rate (attachments bought per iPad) as on the iPhone, but anecdotally, I am pretty sure that the iPad will have a ridiculously high attach rate. I think Apple was surprised by the number of attachments that were preordered.
I disagree. I would still maintain that Google is the least evil company of all others. The problem with them, however, is they try to maintain this huge "holier than thou" "we are openner than you (although we never open things where our competitive advantage lies)" "do no evil (unless its in your interest)" BS. I prefer Apple/MS etc. because they don't pretend to be the complete opposite of the huge corporations they are.
Really disappointed that Google RDF seems to have led Tim Bray to the extent of lying. Before Apple there was no mobile Internet. There were only ghetto-ized WAP and .mobi pages for cell phones. Besides Flash, Apple supports (actively in many cases) nearly every internet standard. They are not going about blocking what pages you can view in Mobile Safari. If you are talking about their App Store, its a different matter. However App Store != Mobile Internet...