or Connect

Posts by fixmdude

"How will the MacPro be introduced?" Apparently Peter Pan's shadow will fly it in, along with the other imaginary devices that don't exist.
 Give Samsung 6 months to copy it and put their name on it first...
 Using an internal ROC and numerous slower SATA SSDs makes for a larger total expense and bundle of wires hassle compared to a single module that has it all built in. The discussion is focused on size because those who care about size are excited about the new Mac Pro and are here to discuss it. My home-built PC was in my living room next to my recliner. Big box moving air, collecting large amounts of carpet dust on the vents, humming noises while watching TV, hard to...
 If you RAID across PCI-e cards, you lose TRIM support, drivers don't support it yet.I'd rather have the working space and bigger storage be external so it can easily be moved between computers when needed. The OS and Apps aren't movable so those go on the internal fast drive. The external TB2 SSD drive can be powered by the TB2 bus and is fast enough to not notice a difference as with slow USB or Firewire. This also gives those who don't need a big box a small...
 The problem with SATA RAID is that you are limited to the speed of the SATA controller no matter how many drives you connect to it.  6 Gbit = 750 MBytes/sec The problem with using more than one PCI-E card in a PC case is that they already have RAID onboard to get their own speed and you can't RAID two of them together. That leaves you with only 1 option for getting a high speed 1.25 GByte/Sec drive into a PC:  Buy a single high-speed PCI-E SSD card and probably pay more...
With the new Mac Pro arriving soon, having 2 separate graphics cards likely not combined via Crossfire, it appears that Apple is planning on promoting this system for OpenCL users. Apparently OpenCL is the open-source version of nVidia's CUDA, and it's intent is to allow software to access and utilize various types of processors in a computer rather than just the CPU. The first graphics card could run the monitor(s) and the second graphics card could be used only to add...
Before you immediately answer "No" to this question, hear me out: I use a Macbook Pro with Bootcamp running Windows 7, and I also use a Toshiba Laptop running Windows 7. Both have the same antivirus software at the same time, I've tried Kaspersky, AVG, and Avast. There is a particularly nasty type of Windows virus which takes over your computer and puts up a screen that asks for money to unlock your computer again. You can not exit or reboot in Safe Mode, even Safe...
  The Xeon has twice the RAM bandwidth, twice the pipes, and can support much more RAM (as a single processor.)  The i7 only supports 32GB RAM while a single XEON can support 128 GB each (though Apple is only advertising 64 GB in their first new model's launch.  In the past people have been able to put in 128GB successfully.)  Twice the PCIe pipes allows for the dual video cards and all of the Thunderbolt2 ports which take 2 pipes each.  My current limiter is that my RAM...
 You're so smart, too bad Chevy never thought of that.  All Chevy had to do is never mention Ford in any of their ads or comparisons, and *Poof* their competition magically doesn't exist anymore in imaginary la la land.  If you don't mention them in your ad, (or your chat forums), then they are no longer your competition.  Ingenious!
 Note to self: Rumor sites are efficient businesses and their forums should not be used to chat about hobbies that waste the time of people who read them during working hours.The Mac Pro is conceptualized, designed, and built, to compete with PC Workstations. Comparing the two, good or bad, is the point of those discussing it. You should charge yourself for wasting your time reading this forum. Just stick to the CNN Tech page for the news.