or Connect

Posts by THT

It's not possible to prevent these tiny little scratches on the glass under normal use. All it takes is a grain of sand or something similar. People may think they are being careful, and they are careful, but it is simply not possible using any reasonab measures. Sapphire would have solved this, but not this year.
Hmm, I wonder how much of Apple's tooling at Foxconn come into play here. It's 64-bit Silvermont (Atom) and a USB Type C connector, but with USB 2, not 3 nor 3.1, protocol.
 There's nothing AMD can do to hurt Intel in the near future. As long as Intel is a node ahead and has a competitive design, they are basically in a monopolist position in the laptop, desktop and server world, mistakes are eminently survivable, and a boring media story. And we all know that there's nothing more than the media hates is a boring story. Intel's problems in the handset world is heavily taxed by their business model and strategy. They can ship the most...
The Exynos 5430 and 5433 in the Galaxy Alpha and Galaxy Note 4 are 20 nm SoCs from Samsung's 20 nm. They may ship in one or two of Samsung's countless tablet models too. Not the same volumes as the A8 SoCs, but it's in the millions at least. Heck, the 5433 is a 64-bit A57/A53 big.LITTLE SoC, but Samsung is running it in 32-bit mode for various reasons. Maybe they'll advertise it at 64-bit when they ship Lollipop for it.
Isn't their a rumor that Apple is already doing this with the A8 SoC? Well, at the Korean new mongers are saying this, with them saying Samsung is producing up to 40% of the A8 SoCs Apple has shipped.
 I'm just waiting for the inevitable other shoe to drop when Intel announces that Skylake slips to 1H 2016. I don't know if this will happen, and maybe Intel will just short-circuit's Broadwell's product life cycle, but I kind of doubt it. The current Broadwell rollout has basically been non-existent for Intel's volumes. Maybe the CEO thinks its a nice feather in their cap for saying they shipped Broadwell on time with Core M, but they have to be scrambling right now...
Find it hard to believe that Samsung and TSMC will have 14 nm and 16 nm FinFET volume in 2015. Both their 20 nm fabs were producing in volume just this Summer. It would make much more sense for them to use a refined lower power 20 nm process then go to 14/16 nm. Just too soon. Even Intel's Broadwell 14 nm rollout is going to be slow and excruciating across 2015.
 True, but I view it as more of a semantics game. A computing system has pools of memory with the smallest, but fastest pool closest to the CPU logic. The pools get bigger, but slower the further away they get from the CPU. Storage, as in HDD and SSD storage, is memory. It is a lot further away from the CPU, but is ~10 times bigger than system memory (RAM). They effect the performance a computing system as anyone who's done an upgrade from an HDD to an SSD will attest....
 Yeah. Standard fare. Intel already does this with "CrystalWell", which has been shipping for a year now. Anything Haswell with GT3e or Iris Pro graphics is a Haswell CPU/GPU with 128 MB of eDRAM on package. One is shipping in the 21.5" iMac. Intel did it with the Pentium Pro 20 years ago. Back then, L2 cache was off-package. You can upgrade your L2 cache then. With the Pentium Pro, Intel put a high speed SRAM L2 cache on the package. Time marches and lower levels of...
You definitely wind +1 Internets from me today! LOL. The DOJ and the Courts are fickle beasts.