or Connect

Posts by THT

That's exactly what a benchmark should do: measure the performance of hardware running the software that you use.The synthetic benchmarks used in a lot of reviews today like Geekbench or whatever GPU benchmark is a level of abstraction removed and really needs careful interpretation.
Has there ever been an Apple product where "production" problems were not part of the rumor cycle?   It's been "boy who cried wolf" for so long now that I'm surprised it still makes the news cycle.
 Yup.  However, I'm surprised no noticed that the media and Strategy Analytics are making the same mistake again. Apple's reported net income, what normal people think of as "profit", for calendar Q4 2014 was $18.04 billion. How Strategy Analytics gets to $18.4 billion in operating profit is beyond me. They are not paying zero taxes or expenses, etc, and taxes are on the order of 25% anyways. It's SA's usual gamesmanship with the numbers, as they know the terms of art for...
I'm not all that worried over the energy storage. There are many ways to do, at small scales and giant scales. Batteries, thermal pools, artificial lakes and dams. It's just not happening right now because we are fine with the tried and true coal based power plants and gas/oil burning engines. We're not going to make the transition or see it at wider scale until they become too expensive or we run out of oil. There is an utmost need to get the transition started ASAP, so...
I have to see I love this head on push Apple is doing with solar or renewable energy. As far as I'm concerned, every parking lot should have solar arrays or trees, every roof top should have solar arrays or a brown/green roof whatever.   Feel really proud of Tim Cook to say global warming is real.
 The 5433 should be able to execute 32-bit and 64-bit instructions simultaneously, but the OS (really the kernel) has to be 64-bit to do that. That's "should be". Who knows, maybe Samsung messed it up. Since Android 4.x is a 32-bit OS, people use the term "32 bit mode" when a 64-bit system is running a 32-bit OS. All the instructions are 32-bit in such a case, more specifically, all the instructions are part of the 32-bit ARM v7 instruction set, none are of the 64-bit ARM...
 For this particular Note 4 Geekbench plot, there are several things to explain the variations in the plot. 1. The Note 4 has 2 architectures: a 1.9 GHz Cortex-A57, 1.3 GHz Cortex-A53 big.LITTLE CPU and a 2.7 GHz Krait CPU. This explains some of the variation in frequency in the plot. All the scores >2.5 GHz are likely Krait scores. All the scores at 2 GHz are the Cortex-A57 scores (run in 32-bit mode), and they seem a bit low to me actually. 2. The scores at 1.4 GHz are...
  True, but the words in the acronym mean something. Apple will have the court depose makers of wireless modem chips and ask them how much they are paying Qualcomm or whoever owns the patent for the FRAND patent. What Apple will pay won't be far from that. It also quite doubtful that Apple doesn't have a very good idea what the rates as well.
Overall, this isn't a very controversial article from DED, and it's something a lot of people have speculated about.   1. Qualcomm Snapdragon killed TI OMAP. It's weird how DED keeps on writing about how Apple's custom, in-house, not-for-sale chips competes with SoC vendor chips. So, yeah, Apple doesn't really compete in the market for SoCs, and can't kill "competitors". Snapdragon essentially came in and swept the field: TI pulled out, Nvidia neutered, Samsung needs to...
There doesn't seem to be anything outrageous or unfair here.   Apple wants to pay Ericsson a certain rate for these standards essential LTE patents. Ericsson wants to Apple to pay a different rate for these standards essential LTE patents. They can't come to an agreement. Hence, Apple takes Ericsson to court to have chance at the rate they want, or to have the court negotiate a rate for them.   Standard operating procedure for standards essentials patent rates.