or Connect

Posts by THT

I couldn't wait anymore. Bought an iMac 27" with 3 TB Fusion drive. My old PC was falling apart, so had to buy now. Was holding out hope that Apple would ship a Mac mini update with a 3 TB Fusion drive, but alas no.     So, maybe 5 years down the road, I can update to what I think Apple wants the iMac to be: a high DPI display, all SSD, no fan, and only about 0.5" thick.   So the usual advice applies. Buy now if you have to, other wise wait. Broadwell in of itself...
 That someone is wrong at times or often times and sensationalistic doesn't mean they are wrong all the time. You interpret information from all sources as fairly as possible, apply common sense with the proper filters. Turning a blind eye on someone who is wrong at times or is sensationalistic pretty much means you are ignoring any and all people you meet. Nobody bats a 1000. (I would be ignoring Mark Gurman if I took his prima donna attitude into account.) Like, would...
64 bit Tegra K1 is supposedly a dual core VLIW arch CPU with a Kepler arch GPU. AI is saying that 128 Mbyte of main memory will be used to store profiled ARM instructions. There likely needs to be a code interpreter that does the code morphing and profiling, etc. So, similar to Transmeta's Crusoe and Efficeon.I said that Demerjian is gossiping that this arch is dead. But the PR here is saying it's still there. So, Nvidia is going full steam ahead here. We'll see how it...
Yes. I know of his reputation as well as his history. He's a drama queen and has a sensationalist style wherever he works all the way back to the Inquirer.But he's been in the tech hardware gossip rag business for over a decade, especially for CPUs, and knows the fundentals of EE and processors. He does have moles in East Asia in regards to foundries and stuff like that.His negativity towards Tegra has been right for 4 or 5 years now. Maybe he was lucky, but for that long?...
For the record, Charlie Demerjian (semiaccurate.com) thinks Denver is dead, or will never ship. When he says this, he is thinking of the Denver (aka 64 bit Tegra K1) project using something like Transmeta's VLIW Efficeon architecture. One of the rumors was that Nvidia revectored the arch from x64 to ARM. Anyways, Demerjian has been gossiping that Denver was a long ways away from meeting perf/watt targets, and may never ship in a handheld, and thusly, is likely dead. It...
Apple doesn't have a low cost play for iPhones. The iPhone 5c is currently a $550 phone, and will probably be a $450 phone by fall of 2014. Even the iPhone 4S will be on the order of $300 to $400 by then. That's mid-range at best.   So, Android One is not a play at Apple. Rather, it's maybe a response to AOSP vendors, which can be super low cost, that don't have Google Play services installed.
Considering that the damages trial was going to be under Judge Denise Cote, yeah, Apple saw the writing on the wall on this one. 
 Yeah, I can't imagine 5 years and 1000 engineers too. Simplistic math: 1000 eng x $200000 per eng x 5 year = $1b investment. Maybe if they are starting zero, but they obviously are not, and they are hiring people who have done it before, and there is IP that can be licensed. So turnaround time could be 3 years with a lot less engineers, and something on the order of $200m instead. And how does one quantify the difficulty level of design and implementing a CPU, a GPU, a...
 The Roku CEO said a rather odd thing about Apple losing money on Apple TV devices. That's like admitting that Roku loses money on every device it sells, which is what you were kind of intimating with the reluctance to take Roku public. Maybe the CEO was just saying things without thinking it through, being emotional about it, but if Apple sells Apple TV devices at a loss, than Roku sells their devices at a loss too. We had a long sub-conversation to establish that Apple...
 This is a lot clearer than what I said. Should of went back and looked at the official branding, but didn't have time. I likely conflated Take 2 with Apple TV (2nd generation).