or Connect

Posts by THT

What was Typo thinking? There's like a gazillion different keyboard styles.
Wow. Getting info on the N1m was quite hard to find info on in the first place.I wonder if Myriam Joire's demo is still on YouTube? [edit: still there on youtube]
 The 2012 Apple TV model has dual-core A5 with one of the cores fused off. I don't believe they harvested bad A5 chips that only had one working CPU core. They were all fully qualified dual-core chips with one core fused off. Going the harvesting the bad die route seems entirely too unreliable and they would have to resort to fusing off cores anyway if they didn't have enough bad dies. The 2013 Apple TV model is a unique single core A5. It's not a dual-core with one core...
Maybe we are just talking past each other.I'm only talking about the black puck version. There are three versions of that model:The first version has an A4. This version is branded at Apple TV version 2 or Take 2.The 2nd version of the of the black puck model, has a dual core with the one core fused off. This is refered to as the third version of "Apple TV" if you include the Intel models with a HDD.The 3rd version of the black puck model, has a single core only A5. This...
For Apple, it's all one big jumble of stuff as they have their own retail outlet. As best as I can tell, the cost of selling and supporting a device is about the same as the BOM, for iPhones at least.If you are selling through retail, like Best Buy or Target, the retailer gets a cut. Replacement units have to be maintained, support staff have to be trained, sales staff have to be maintained, inventory has to be maintained.If you see a BOM, it won't be that far off to...
In your two quotes from Anandtech, they don't state that the 3rd gen Apple TV, 3rd of the black puck version, has a dual core A5 with one of the cores fused off.They are stating directly that it is a unique A5 with a single core CPU and a 543MP2.The only version with the dual core CPU, but with one core fused off is the 2nd gen Apple TV, the 2nd gen black puck version.It's not like I didn't read the exact same passages last year.
You're mistaken. The 2013 AppleTV has special single core CPU, single GPU version of the A5 SoC. It's the thrird SoC since the first black puck version came out.It originally was an A4 SoC, then a 32 nm A5 with one of cores fused off or they cherry picked failed A5 SoCs that were going to go in the iPod touch or iPad mini 1st gen. The 2013 AppleTV has a special 32 nm A5 that is half the size of the prior 32 nm A5.There's no way they do that without getting rid of CPU/GPU...
My workplace bought a bunch of Apple TV devices for the conference rooms. No streaming media use here. Just used as wireless connectors to the projectors. It is like a gazillion times easier. And yeah, very likely to me that Apple has something like 15 to 20% margins on them. No more than $60 for the hardware and $25 for the cost of selling them. The 2013 Apple TV uses a single core Cortex-A9 CPU and a single SGX 543 MP1. It's like a 6x6 mm SoC. What, $5 per chip for...
 No way man. The 7th gen iPod nano is just a stretched 6th gen with a home button. The design language is basically identical between the 6th and 7th gen iPod nanos. They are basically extruded aluminum with an inset display with black border. The Nokia N9/Lumia is an evolution of the N8 with a "bulbous" design language. To me at least. iPod nano 6 and 7 gen devices are flat on the back. Lumia's are a little rounded. They still have a slight hint of the dog ear seen in the...
 It's in Apple's best interests to have multiple suppliers for their components. Eg, they have 3 for displays, and Samsung is one of them. The CPU is one of the few where they don't have multiple suppliers for a component, on their handheld, laps and desktop computers actually. If Samsung has a production 20 nm fab ready, go for it.