or Connect

Posts by THT

It's in Apple's best interests to have multiple suppliers for their components. Eg, they have 3 for displays, and Samsung is one of them. The CPU is one of the few where they don't have multiple suppliers for a component, on their handheld, laps and desktop computers actually. If Samsung has a production 20 nm fab ready, go for it.
 I think of it from the outside in. If they are going to put a quad-core CPU into an iOS device, it's because they are going to ship FCPX, Logic X, Safari 7, etc, on it, not because there is TDP headroom or larger battery capacities. Adding another 2 cores (for a total of 4) only pushes performance for parallel or high throughput applications. These sorts of applications typically run for a long time (like transcoding a video). Safari 7 (or Chrome) type apps where each...
 I'll be sad if the quad-core rumor is true. It's a sign that Apple can't improve IPC much anymore, which isn't too surprising. Going the quad-core route won't benefit users as much as improving IPC. The last big low hanging fruit now will be using a SSD-in-a-package for storage. If they can't improve IPC around 50%, hope they'll have a turbo that can up-clock 50% to 70% for a couple of seconds. That combined with a 20% improving in IPC would get another 2x performance for...
I'm basically of the opposite opinion. The value of the band will stem from the sensor and the algorithms behind it. Sales of the hardware is where Apple will make its money. The display and data recording is the least valuable part of the value chain for Apple.The band doesn't even need to have a display. It'll make a measurement, store the data, then when the user wants to see it, it'll transfer the raw data to a paired iOS device, and the iOS device reduce, interpret...
 Yup. I'm tempted to say that they shouldn't announce nor ship the wristband device until glucose monitoring can ship with it. Having that will be an automatic win worth billions of dollars. Millions of units at $400 to $500 easy.
 The quote is from the investors.com article. It was there when I first read it. Well, I can agree and disagree with you regarding the "new math". It's just this analysts method for gauging the performance of phone makers. Some have a "+" sign in the net income column and some have a "-" sign in the net income column. You take an absolute value and add them all up and start taking percentages of the total. ;) It's not an uncommon method and has been used for awhile.
Has MS gone insane? They mind as well pull out of the handheld OS market right now and save themselves the effort of maintaining compatibility.
 The numbers include the losses from other industry players, like Nokia, HTC, LG, Sony, Moto, Blackberry, etc. These other players in this study constituted -19% of the industry profits according to their math. From the original article: "Because their combined earnings were higher than the industry's total earnings as a result of many vendors losing money in Q4, Apple and Samsung mathematically accounted for more than 100% of the industry's earnings."
 Apple's NC datacenter uses Bloom Boxes, but they are a secondary, and independent energy source from solar. For solar, I bet it's similar to home solar. Their solar farm feeds electricity back into the grid. Apple and the local energy company then horse trades. So, there is no energy storage. If Apple's solar energy is a lot, the local energy company can reduce the power on their power plant. For energy storage at such scale, I'm sure you'd be hearing some about it as it...
On the subject of Amazon's ebook profitability or loss leading, I think you guys are a little sideways on it. Amazon sold the ebooks yes, but they also sold the Kindle hardware. They really can't be separated as it's quite likely the $10 per Kindle ebook was used as a loss leader to sell Kindle hardware. I've been pondering what is the razor and what is the blade in Amazon's Kindle reader and Kindle book relationship. Was the ereader the blade or the ebook the blade? (With...