or Connect

Posts by THT

Yes. I know of his reputation as well as his history. He's a drama queen and has a sensationalist style wherever he works all the way back to the Inquirer.But he's been in the tech hardware gossip rag business for over a decade, especially for CPUs, and knows the fundentals of EE and processors. He does have moles in East Asia in regards to foundries and stuff like that.His negativity towards Tegra has been right for 4 or 5 years now. Maybe he was lucky, but for that long?...
For the record, Charlie Demerjian (semiaccurate.com) thinks Denver is dead, or will never ship. When he says this, he is thinking of the Denver (aka 64 bit Tegra K1) project using something like Transmeta's VLIW Efficeon architecture. One of the rumors was that Nvidia revectored the arch from x64 to ARM. Anyways, Demerjian has been gossiping that Denver was a long ways away from meeting perf/watt targets, and may never ship in a handheld, and thusly, is likely dead. It...
Apple doesn't have a low cost play for iPhones. The iPhone 5c is currently a $550 phone, and will probably be a $450 phone by fall of 2014. Even the iPhone 4S will be on the order of $300 to $400 by then. That's mid-range at best.   So, Android One is not a play at Apple. Rather, it's maybe a response to AOSP vendors, which can be super low cost, that don't have Google Play services installed.
Considering that the damages trial was going to be under Judge Denise Cote, yeah, Apple saw the writing on the wall on this one. 
 Yeah, I can't imagine 5 years and 1000 engineers too. Simplistic math: 1000 eng x $200000 per eng x 5 year = $1b investment. Maybe if they are starting zero, but they obviously are not, and they are hiring people who have done it before, and there is IP that can be licensed. So turnaround time could be 3 years with a lot less engineers, and something on the order of $200m instead. And how does one quantify the difficulty level of design and implementing a CPU, a GPU, a...
 The Roku CEO said a rather odd thing about Apple losing money on Apple TV devices. That's like admitting that Roku loses money on every device it sells, which is what you were kind of intimating with the reluctance to take Roku public. Maybe the CEO was just saying things without thinking it through, being emotional about it, but if Apple sells Apple TV devices at a loss, than Roku sells their devices at a loss too. We had a long sub-conversation to establish that Apple...
 This is a lot clearer than what I said. Should of went back and looked at the official branding, but didn't have time. I likely conflated Take 2 with Apple TV (2nd generation).
What was Typo thinking? There's like a gazillion different keyboard styles.
Wow. Getting info on the N1m was quite hard to find info on in the first place.I wonder if Myriam Joire's demo is still on YouTube? [edit: still there on youtube]
 The 2012 Apple TV model has dual-core A5 with one of the cores fused off. I don't believe they harvested bad A5 chips that only had one working CPU core. They were all fully qualified dual-core chips with one core fused off. Going the harvesting the bad die route seems entirely too unreliable and they would have to resort to fusing off cores anyway if they didn't have enough bad dies. The 2013 Apple TV model is a unique single core A5. It's not a dual-core with one core...