or Connect

Posts by THT

My argument would be that the DOJ has no business bringing up this case. The interpretation of the laws by which they prosecuted this case doesn't apply and shouldn't apply. Ie, a retailer selling a physical good is not the same thing as a retailer selling a digital good, a paper book is not the same thing as an ebook.  In other words, yes, prices did rise. But it's all part of the markets going through transition and the gov't should not mess around with it. The iPad was...
 Who the heck was talking about being punished for selling the iPad? My comment was regarding the pro-competitive effects of the iPad on the ebook market. The pro-competitive arguments that Judge Cote ignored or didn't believe. The iPad and its form factor clones increased the size of the ebook market ~10x over what Amazon, Kobo, or BN did with their readers. With a larger market, more competitors, more boutiques & niches can arise. The agreement between Apple and the...
I think the primary problem with the ebooks lawsuit is that the DOJ and Judge Cote was thinking of them like they were physical books. Apple and the publishers were also prosecuted for quite narrow price fixing (new best selling books) to boot as the average selling price across all books declined. I'd be more apt to back the DOJ if it was over physical books sold in retail shops.   Obviously they are not physical books. They are a digital good, not only that, they are...
 How can Apple continue? They will have to bend over and take it, or find directors and managers that will. The fines will go up rather rapidly if they continue to stonewall. But yes, American politics at this scale is cyclical and changes with who's in the gov't. Maybe the next DOJ after Obama's will have different priorities. After all, this is the DOJ who reasoned that the companies and banks involved in the subprime mortgage crisis of 2008 - you know the crisis that...
For Apple, this isn't going to end until they are offered a reasonable resolution by the courts and DOJ. If they don't, it's going to the SCOTUS, and if they lose there, I doubt it's going to end there. Apple's current management will likely have to be replace before they consent. Ie, the gov't will have to destroy Apple as it currently stands today.   Just read this article from by Roger...
Amazon can remove all doubt by reporting ebook and kindle revenue and profit numbers. As it stands, all we are doing are guessing.DOJ saying that they are profitable is no better than you saying they are profitable. Show us the numbers.
The question of why Amazon isn't sued for predatory pricing and practices is interesting.   In the Apple v DOJ eBooks trial, the DOJ said they evaluated Amazon's eBooks business and said that Amazon operated it at a profit. When asked to reveal this this information, Judge Denise Cote refused to let these findings out and said to go to the DOJ, the DOJ refused to let these findings out, and both said Amazon is not on trial. On the other hand, Judge Cote believed that...
You have not said anything different from HuskyOffset. Read your response to him again. All you were saying was that the monitor needed to review the antitrust compliance program, which was what HuskyOffset said.
Quote: You're not saying anything different from HuskyOffset.
 Holder's DOJ itself, not just the anti-trust team, is awash in some kind of political calculus in all its doings. Sometimes they land on the right side of things like not prosecuting DOMA cases or not pursuing marijuana cases, even though they said if users or possessors of marijuana will still be pursued in states that make marijuana legal. Other times, well. The most egregious things he's done is provided legal cover for Obama's drone strikes, really, provided legal...