or Connect

Posts by THT

Holder's DOJ itself, not just the anti-trust team, is awash in some kind of political calculus in all its doings. Sometimes they land on the right side of things like not prosecuting DOMA cases or not pursuing marijuana cases, even though they said if users or possessors of marijuana will still be pursued in states that make marijuana legal. Other times, well. The most egregious things he's done is provided legal cover for Obama's drone strikes, really, provided legal...
 I don't know the process to this level of detail. I barely know this semiconductor stuff as it is. However, I do know how products and information can be controlled and tracked. Odds are pretty damn good that Apple's control and tracking are a lot more stringent than what I've experienced before. I imagine that they cut the chips out of the wafer, package them, power them up, and put it through a series of tests to verify its performance. At the the point of packaging, it...
 There are both in-house mask shops from the foundries and 3rd part merchant mask shops. (Wikipedia list ~15 merchant shops for 65 nm lithography alone from a 2006 survey.) There's a sub-industry for basically every step in the foundry business, from the silicon ingots, the tooling, to the ceramic packaging. One stop factories where the silicon and semiconductor materials go in and a packaged chip in a box comes out don't really exist anymore. They probably never really...
I've got some skepticism that TSMC will be able ship 14 nm parts in 2016, let alone late 2015. The foundry's definition of being ready is basically totally different from the expectation of when you'll see actual shipped parts.   There's been very little news on TSMC's readiness with 20 nm for 2014. There have been 2 SoCs announced that I'm aware of for 2014: the Snapdragon 805 (with 32 bit Krait 450 cores) for 1H 14 and the Snapdragon 410 (with 64-bit Cortex-A53 cores)...
 The only performance metric the Note 3 beats the iPhone 5S in is multi-core benchmarks and some GPU benchmarks, and barely at that. Meanwhile, the iPhone 5S's single threaded performance is about 40 to 50% faster. Single threaded performance lifts all boats. There are very few applications that can actually use 4-cores, and even less so on smartphones. And maybe you shouldn't use the word "bus" in the context of 64-bit either. Apple's SoC have used 32, 64 and 128-bit...
 Really don't agree with you that Samsung has any schematics or blueprints that give them any information. When Apple is working with Samsung Semi, Apple's SoC designers are figuring out how to fab the chip, to etch the transistors. Samsung Semi simply had no architecture information to glean from this type of work. If you are playing the espionage angle, then that automatically means Samsung design know anything about the architecture. They are only doing it for...
 Yes. All Exynos SoCs to date use CPU designs from ARMH and GPU designs from ARMH or ImgTec. Samsung does indeed have great SoC designers, but a custom design will be a whole new level for them. They appear to have plans to do a custom ARM CPU, but it would be 2015 before you see that. For 2014, if they can fit a Cortex-A57 into a smartphone TDP, they'll likely do that. Otherwise they stretch a Krait (Snapdragon 805) or a Cortex-A15. Their Exynos 5250, 5410, 5420 adventure...
 Yes. X-Gene, a micro-server 64-bit ARM part, was announced to be available on Oct 30, 2013. Using that date, Apple likely shipped 10m A7 SoCs before Applied Micro even took their first order. It's quite likely Apple will have shipped 50m A7 SoCs by end of 2013. Who knows how many Applied Micro will have shipped by Dec 31. Their product page still says "pre-order". As for smartphone SoCs, the linked article is likely right, at the earliest, the industry thought it was...
 And when Apple hands over the masks for laying out the transistors and metal layers on the wafer, what is the Samsung fab engineer seeing? They aren't seeing a blueprint. It's doubtful to me that Apple is handing over the circuit design or "blueprint" for the SoC. They are handing over circuit masks to etch the transistors. Apple and Samsung work to make sure the masks are designed correctly for the process involved, but I doubt that Samsung Semi knows at any point time...
 Is this really true? Windows compatibility is likely huge for things like enterprise desktops (where specific applications have been design to help the business run), but in the tablet space, we're talking consumer usage and office automation usage , right? In that space, those usages are becoming more and more web-based and office automation is becoming more and more commoditized. Microsoft's problems in tablets aren't really x86 SoC or legacy app related. I still think...