or Connect

Posts by THT

Well, moreover, Apple can just use the wholesale model. Then, if Amazon is selling a loss leading ebook, Apple could do the same. Not good news for the publishers or content providers, but for Apple I don't think that it's that big of deal to do that.   The anti-trust oversight over music, movies, other digital content, and the suspension of the agency fee for IAP for ebooks (and possibly over the other content since the DOJ is crossing the rubicon with ebooks) on the...
  It also lacks every single chip and package too. No radio chip, no flash package, not even the SIM slot.   The fact that the BGA array is the same size means nothing to what process the chips are fabbed at. The "chip" is really a multi-chip package typically containing SoC and the RAM stacked on top of each other. They are wired together with wires for power, comm, I/O, etc, are routed down into the array seen in the photo.   It probably implies that memory and I/O...
Which would you prefer:   1. 1136 x 640 at 120 Hz   or   2. 1600 x 900 at 60 Hz   or   3. 2272 x 1280 at 30 Hz     I barely watch TV, so I have no idea if there are any benefits between 60 to 120 Hz. These resolutions and frame/refresh rates will all require about the same CPU/GPU performance. Higher DPI may be technically easier to do than higher refresh rates though. Don't know all this TV this well.
  Ouch. My quick mental math was quite meandering there. I'd put the not accounted for $100 into cost of doing business though, not the BOM. You have to pay for customer service, warranties, replacement inventory, etc. So 200 for BOM, 200 for profit, and 200 for cost of doing business. There'd be 0 to $50 of variance in the 3 figures quarter to quarter, year to year.     Every time I do that, the inevitable conclusion is to wonder why Apple would even try. They have to...
  It's quite doubtful that iSuppli or whoever's BOM estimate is accurate to ±$25 or even ±$50. [The second significant digit is likely no more accurate to ±2, maybe not even ±5.] The USA SGS4 BOM of $229 and the iPhone 5 BOM of $207 is for intents and purposes the same BOM.   You would think the SGS4 would cost more through sheer physical size. There's just more there: glass, display, battery, chips, etc. But it's basically all immaterial as the major driver in...
Mike Matas used to be member on AI!
  Like computers do. People will only upgrade every 3 to 4 years. It could be worse. It could be the car market where upgrades are every 5 to 7 years, or however long it is. Devices will get old. Software loads will get heavier and will stop supporting older devices. So people will upgrade.     Oh, I'm thinking full on cyborg with implants, not wristband computers or eye glasses. ;)
  Certainly a balance. But developers are more motivated by money than being demotivated by the difficulty of development. With buying customers, developers will follow. It's a lot harder the other way around.   2 iPhone display sizes is not some gigantic business risk. Apple offers multiple screen sizes and device variants (not just color or storage options) for their DAP and PC devices, yet refuse to with iPhones. Maybe they don't want to take the margin hit and devote...
  Perhaps it's better if users were happier than developers? And, if they were to support it, I'm sure they can design development frameworks that can ease development for multiple screen sizes and resolutions, all at the same aspect ratio.     Because people are different, and different people value different things. With a multi-touch slate-style device, the screen is a big factor in how people value the device. Some want larger, some want smaller. Offering a selection,...
"iPhone"   It comes in 4" and 5" versions. Same thing with "iPad". It comes in 8" and 10" versions. This is the same branding strategy as the MacBooks. They just call their MacBooks as "MacBook Air", "MacBook Pro", or "MacBook Pro with Retina Display". They come in 11/13 or 13/15 inch sizes.   To bad Apple didn't release a 5" iPhone last Fall. It was the right time to do it. It seems silly to me that they have no problem offering 3 screen size for MacBooks (was 4...