or Connect

Posts by THT

Rhetorical question?   Predicting an Apple product will be in short supply for the first few weeks or months is not much of a prediction. You'd be 90% successful with the prediction by just saying the Apple XYZ product will be in short supply every single time.
  I'm asserting the DOJ doesn't understand the market forces involved, and are doing a disservice to consumers by choosing to go through this particular action.    1. Prices were not fixed. Prices were reset to a higher initial value yes, but they were subject to market forces and they came down. Didn't you see the graph by the DOJ? The one where there is a spike in the book prices? Sure, that is "price fixing" for all of about 1 month. The prices dropped immediately...
  Yes, the traditional big publishers are pretty much toast. They did it to themselves.   1. They saw the music industry get blindsided by digitization. It was inevitable for books to be in the same boat. This was over 10 years ago, and they had a long time to do something.   2. They knew Amazon was going to eat them alive, yet they became dependent on them, and didn't have the guts to break free. Amazon is notorious for getting the steepest discounts for wholesale book...
    The two quoted statements are not congruent.   As for rigging or price fixing, if the price is indeed fixed by the industry at one price, yup that's price fixing, but ebook prices from 2010 to 2012 were not fixed. They were going doing from their starting point, and probably would have continued to go down. Maybe not, I don't know, but the plots provided by the DOJ showed they were going down basically the whole time of the price fixing scheme.
  The DOJ is also not responsible for determining what prices should be either. With this court action, they are saying the market price for ebooks is $9.99, or lower. Prices rise and fall depending on market conditions, like a new entrant and different business model for the industry.      People say this like it is fact. Maybe it is true. I'd like Amazon to report it as such. There's a bit of doubt in my mind as Amazon rarely reports a profit. As such, it's easy for me...
  Well, moreover, Apple can just use the wholesale model. Then, if Amazon is selling a loss leading ebook, Apple could do the same. Not good news for the publishers or content providers, but for Apple I don't think that it's that big of deal to do that.   The anti-trust oversight over music, movies, other digital content, and the suspension of the agency fee for IAP for ebooks (and possibly over the other content since the DOJ is crossing the rubicon with ebooks) on the...
  It also lacks every single chip and package too. No radio chip, no flash package, not even the SIM slot.   The fact that the BGA array is the same size means nothing to what process the chips are fabbed at. The "chip" is really a multi-chip package typically containing SoC and the RAM stacked on top of each other. They are wired together with wires for power, comm, I/O, etc, are routed down into the array seen in the photo.   It probably implies that memory and I/O...
Which would you prefer:   1. 1136 x 640 at 120 Hz   or   2. 1600 x 900 at 60 Hz   or   3. 2272 x 1280 at 30 Hz     I barely watch TV, so I have no idea if there are any benefits between 60 to 120 Hz. These resolutions and frame/refresh rates will all require about the same CPU/GPU performance. Higher DPI may be technically easier to do than higher refresh rates though. Don't know all this TV this well.
  Ouch. My quick mental math was quite meandering there. I'd put the not accounted for $100 into cost of doing business though, not the BOM. You have to pay for customer service, warranties, replacement inventory, etc. So 200 for BOM, 200 for profit, and 200 for cost of doing business. There'd be 0 to $50 of variance in the 3 figures quarter to quarter, year to year.     Every time I do that, the inevitable conclusion is to wonder why Apple would even try. They have to...
  It's quite doubtful that iSuppli or whoever's BOM estimate is accurate to ±$25 or even ±$50. [The second significant digit is likely no more accurate to ±2, maybe not even ±5.] The USA SGS4 BOM of $229 and the iPhone 5 BOM of $207 is for intents and purposes the same BOM.   You would think the SGS4 would cost more through sheer physical size. There's just more there: glass, display, battery, chips, etc. But it's basically all immaterial as the major driver in...