or Connect

Posts by THT

Perhaps it's better if users were happier than developers? And, if they were to support it, I'm sure they can design development frameworks that can ease development for multiple screen sizes and resolutions, all at the same aspect ratio.     Because people are different, and different people value different things. With a multi-touch slate-style device, the screen is a big factor in how people value the device. Some want larger, some want smaller. Offering a selection,...
"iPhone"   It comes in 4" and 5" versions. Same thing with "iPad". It comes in 8" and 10" versions. This is the same branding strategy as the MacBooks. They just call their MacBooks as "MacBook Air", "MacBook Pro", or "MacBook Pro with Retina Display". They come in 11/13 or 13/15 inch sizes.   To bad Apple didn't release a 5" iPhone last Fall. It was the right time to do it. It seems silly to me that they have no problem offering 3 screen size for MacBooks (was 4...
Chipworks took apart an Apple TV they bought and they have come to the conclusion that this new A5 is a 32 nm Samsung part.   So, either Apple removed half the chip (1 CPU core, 1 GPU core, 1 memory channel, maybe ISP as well), or they had a whole lot of un-used floor plan space in the prior A5 layout, and have re-laid out the SoC to reduce it's size by half on the same node. On to the x-rays.   I wonder where they are taking this chip? A $300 to $400 iPhone? A...
Macrumors.com is saying the background refresh of the AppleTV contains a die shrunk A5, not a A5X. So, original A5 was a 45 nm, 123 mm^2 SoC. The A5r2 in the 2012 Apple TV, iPad 2,4, and iPod touch 5th gen is a 32 nm, 71 mm^2 SoC. This further die shrunk chip is 36 mm^2.   So what node is it at?   It does not appear to be a 28 nm node chip unless Apple did an amazing job with a re-layout of the SoC, like removing a CPU core, GPU core, and or maybe a memory...
  Apple has a couple of ways to address this. A 2 year old phone is free on contract, and presumably, everyone is moving to share plans; and, iPod touch devices are available from $199 to $399. A third way are hand me downs.    Having massive unit share is not a defense against attackers. Nokia had massive unit share and basically was reknown for its capability to ship low end units. Look at where they are now? Blackberry? For a few years, there story to investors was...
  You actually didn't answer the question. ;)
  From which end? The China Times' interpretation of an unnamed industry watcher's interpretation of rumors of Apple's potential use of TSMC 28 nm node to make a Qualcomm SoC? Or the language interpretation from Chinese to English?   We've heard many rumors of Apple wanting to used TSMC for fabbing Apple Ax SoCs. Not sure what all this business of Apple using TSMC to manufacture Qualcomm's Snapdragon SoC is all about. Qualcomm has been using TSMC's 28 nm node to...
  Yes. That's the assumption. The Reuters article was an article on how Intel is moving forward by becoming more of a foundry business as the market moves from PC to post-PC, discussing what customers Intel could have. Obviously Apple would be a big customer and they stated that Apple and Intel had discussions regarding Intel fabbing Apple's ARM SoCs. It would not be unusual for companies like Apple and Intel to have these discussion, so, I have no doubt that it has...
  Like most everyone else and the article itself, this is about Intel fabbing ARM SoCs (Apple's A5, A6, A7, etc) for use in iPhones, iPads, etc. Nothing to do with Macintoshes, laptops or desktops.   But many a company can design an ARM chip competitive with Intel's chips if given the same TDP targets. An ARM chip with a 15 W TDP will be competitive to ULV Intel x86 chips if given all the same development resources. But, there's really no point and no gain in doing that...
You guys shouldn't trust these market share analyst surveys that much. They are not accurate to 10 to 15%. If you aggregate all the data, I'd say USA smartphone penetration is somewhere between 50 to 60% as of today, and it definitely passed 50% by the end of 2012. I'm not sure why one would put KPCB above comScore or whoever. Don't take the numbers as exact. Reporting anything to the 3rd digit here is stupid, and the 2nd digit won't be that reliable. And yes, the...