or Connect

Posts by THT

Intel is indeed a dangerous competitor, and could come up with quite a few wins for Merrifield in 1H 14. But what you list isn't proof. These are all tablets with 4 to 8 W TDP. Smartphones will be in 2 to 4 W TDP levels. Wait and see on whether Merrifield can compete with Snapdragon 805 next year.
 I'll take you on that bet. I'll bet that Samsung basically knew no more than Chipworks did. They didn't know it was 64-bit, and they didn't know any details of the CPU. They only thing they could really know was the generic type things Chipworks could identify. Things like "this looks like the GPU, this is where the CPU is, this looks like L1 cache, this looks like the memory bus" yes, but zilch on any architecture details. We only know scant architecture details from...
 Yup. People hanging on to the idea that since Samsung Semi fabbed Apple's SoCs, it was really Samsung who "built" the chip, and therefore can easily ramp up a 64-bit SoC on their own are pretty desperate for it to be true. It's like saying since Foxconn manufactures the iPhone, Foxconn will be able to ship their own iPhone in 6 months. The business relationships and the manufacturing process just don't work that way. To make a poor analogy, it's like saying the workers of...
Beautifully designed machine.
 Luck of the draw. It's the same display, but Apple's sourcing it from 3 different companies or so. There will be small variations in display performance from an individual companies line too, as well as variation among the different companies. Apple likely has a set of performance criteria for accepting a display or failing it. Inevitably, someone will get one that passed, but it was on the ragged edge.
 For those who don't know, Intrinsity, an Austin, TX based firm, traces it roots back to the PowerPC x704 in the 1990s. For those who weren't born or were still babies at the time, the PowerPC x704 was a high clock rate PowerPC processor (~500 MHz!) that they tried to sell to Apple for use in Apple PowerPC Macs. It caused quite the stir at the time as they were using an "exotic" biCMOS process to get those clock rates. Anyways, Apple killed Mac clones, and that basically...
As others have said, ARM SoCs can't improve 2x every year forever. ARM has run out of the low hanging fruit with the latest generation of CPUs where 3-issue out-of-order execution architectures were introduced with Krait, Swift and A15 cores. For a period of 4 or 5 years or so, ARM went from simple 1-issue, in-order, non-superscalar architectures to modern techniques (superscalar, wider issue widths, branch prediction, out-of-order, SMP) on a yearly cycle. They...
re: 128 GB storage   If Apple is going to have 60 fps or 120 fps 1080p video recording, you'll need that 128 GB and then some.   I'm tempted. I have 64 GB. It's been great not having to worry or manage my storage space. 128 GB would be awesome, especially if the "5S" storage configs are 32/64/128 for the traditional subsidized 200/300/400 USD price points (650/750/850 unsubsidized). If lossless audio becomes a real option, I'm sure there will be audiophiles...
  Friday's have always been the official availability date of iPhones. So, Sept 20.   Sep 03: press invitation for press event Sep 10: press event announcing the phone and whatever else (iOS 7, iPods, etc) Sep 13: early AM pre-ordering starts Sep 17: iOS 7.0.1 out the door? Sep 18: at about 9 pm Eastern, the embargo lifts for reviewers Sep 19: somebody somewhere will get their new phone a day early Sep 20: You can walk into a store and get or if you pre-ordered it should...
  The GoT is actually older than HP and the Philosopher's Stone by one year. ;) I'm am indeed old now. It's nice that the book series is getting a secondary boost because of the TV series, and GRRM is getting much deserved mainstream attention, but he went all Robert Jordan on us with the last two books. He really only had enough for 3 books. After that, it's been a slog through the mud.   Anyways, yeah, I wouldn't say that there aren't any great novels or books anymore,...