or Connect

Posts by THT

1. Full Yahoo and MSN IM compatibility in iChat (or have the apps themselves be updated). Full meaning voice and video. This is probably what hurts the most for my family's usage, and really prevents a full switchover. 2. A multi-view window. Ivan from CreativeBits has a Webkit browser that sort of shows what I'm thinking about. Except, instead of browser views, I'd like to be about put any app's windows in it, such as Office windows, text files, PDF, images, email,...
Thank you. But lots of grammar problems. You actually know what the PPE latencies are? The only one I've read about is the 1 cycle penalty for some sort of instruction cache access.
People who want to use multiple operating systems on the same machine will have to have different drive partitions. This is the way it is done for virtually all multi-boot systems. Eg, a dual-boot Linux and XP system would have 2 drive partitions with NTFS on one and the Linux filesystem on the other. A dual-boot Linux and OS X system would have 2 drive partitions. A triple-boot Linux, XP, and OS X would have 3 drive partitions, with each partition formatted to the...
It will be a little bit slower for the most part. A 2 GHz Yonah is probably equivalent to a 2.0, maybe 2.2, GHz 970mp all other things being equal. There will be somethings Yonah will be faster at than a 2.7 GHz PM G5 will be, a few integer codes, but FPU and SIMD likely not. I'll be very surprised if FPU and SIMD are better on Yonah, unless it has something to do with the relatively poorer memory performance of PPC systems compared to x86 systems. Also, a Yonah-based...
Apple will use HFS+. The processor has nothing to do with the filesystem.
Pipeline depth is not truly an indicator for difficulty in SMT. It's correlative, but not causal. SMT is a scheme to keep a processor executing, to have as many of the pipeline stages executing instructions as possible. SMT helps deeply pipelined processors negate pipeline "latencies". Not the right way to say that really. Hmm. Starting over. SMT is a scheme to keep a processor executing, to have as much of the processor's execution resources executing as possible. The...
Well, Apple doesn't have to worry about CPU branding anymore, so maybe they can go back to the pre-PPC days when machines were referred to by names such as Quadra, Centris, II/IIc/IIfx, etc?
This is still true. It is even true between IBM PowerPC architectures! (Let alone between IBM and Motorola PowerPC processors.)The Pentium M has existed for over 2 years now. It's not a rumor. Banias was the 1st gen chip, fabbed at 130 nm. Dothan is the 2nd generation 90 nm chip in current laptops. Yonah will be a 3rd generation 65 nm chip. Merom is a new microarchitecture, likely not based on the Banias microarchitecture, but follows many of the same design tradeoffs....
Jobs' instinct about how people use computers and what form those computers take has been right for the last 2 decades. The instinct was that all-in-one computers, appliance style boxes, were the best form factor for people. He was just wrong on the implementation of that form factor. Laptops are better than desktop all-in-ones. In fact, they are better than desktop all-in-ones because they are completely all-in-one while the desktop versions have separate keyboards and...
If that happens, then we can do something about it at the time if the people there want our help. That's only if they want our help. If they don't want our help, then yes, we should let it happen.Pulling out of Iraq removes the sole reason for insurgency and allows Iraq to solve their problems on their own terms.