or Connect

Posts by THT

I've been a Powerbook G5 advocate for so long, ever since the 1st gen Power Mac G5s came out, that I'm beginning to wonder if its becoming a complex for me. Apple and IBM were planning to have a Powerbook G5 and 970fx chips to go into them at least in early 2004. I bet Apple wanted to release a Powerbook G5 in Summer of 2004, but alas things didn't go right at the 90nm fab. IBM had an application note, Thermal Considerations: PPC970FX, in early 2004 which stated...
They should legalize it so Ricky Williams can play football again!
The two FPU units in the 970 execute single and double precision with the same latencies and are fully pipelined for both. It's 11 GFLOPS DP for a 2.7 GHz 970fx. The 22 GFLOPS Henriok quoted was an AltiVec number, and we all know AltiVec only does single precision.
This doesn't make sense. Single and double precision are terms indicating the accuracy, the number of digits of precision, typically for floating point math. 32 or 64 bit chips are terms indicating the width of the integer unit and how much memory it can support. A single precision value is represented in the chip in binary by a "word" 32 bits long (or wide). A double precision value is represented by a 64 bit long binary. Yes, it's confusing. Every single PowerPC chip...
How many digits of accuracy does the SPE have compared to other CPUs? It doesn't support denormalized numbers and Realworldtech says it rounds to zero. Those could be some pretty big exceptions for a lot of people.I can agree with you here. It's a big win for media and graphics. How big of a win it is compared to some other design utilizing 200+ million transistors, I think is up for debate. I'll be a skeptic about this until Apple comes out with the hardware, or perhaps...
I plan on switching to Cingular in the very near future and need some help choosing a "smartphone". Which is better? The MS powered SMT 5600 or the Palm powered Treo 650? Plan on synching with Outlook, viewing email, viewing Office files, typing notes, keeping contacts and schedules. I really like the thumb-board and high resolution display, but the Treo 650 runs a 3 year old operating system, is supported by a "troubled" company, and costs ~450$. The SMT 5600 is...
That's a big if. Think about what you are proposing. If you think Microsoft wants to undercut x86 boxes with their own proprietary hardware and software, then yes indeed, I can understand why Intel would want to talk with Apple about CPUs.
Just to remind everyone, a 3.2 GHz Cell would do ~25 giga-dual-precision FPU ops on aggregate. On aggregate means spread across all of the processor cores in the Cell CPU. In single threaded dual precision app performance, Cell would perform more like a 400 MHz CPU or 3 GFLOPS. It would take all cores working optimally to get the aggregate FLOPS number. Most dual precision applications can be threaded really well, so work can be spread across 8 cores to achieve something...
Apple isn't in the game console business, so, the answer is obviously a resounding no. Apple will having nothing to compete with Xbox/xBox/XBOX 360. One can say Apple will never have anything like the Xbox 360 or PS3. The Mac mini will likely have a 1.67 GHz G4 processor and Nvidia 5200 graphics by then though. That's only 3 times faster than my 500 MHz iBook.
You don't need a memo to question the integrity of the GWB admin or the Blair admin over the invasion of Iraq. All you needed to do was to listen to what they were saying, and it was obvious they were lying and propagandizing.