or Connect

Posts by Stephenbw

Thanks for the inflation calculator, it is very interesting to see that $3.99 in 1967 = $25.46 in 2008. Even more interesting is that in the UK £3.99 in 1967 is a staggering £54.76 today. So paying £8.98 for a new cd is even more of a bargain than I thought http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/histori...ion-calculator
Not really because Apple usually delivers the product. The Jehovah Witnesses never have and never will because they have nothing to deliver
I agree that it should be up to the artist as to how their art is packaged and sold, and then it is up to us whether or not we choose to buy it. But if you were paying 3.99 for an album in 1967 why do you think you should only be charged 5.99 now? Have wages and prices in the US only increased by 50% in the intervening 42 years? Here in the UK, £3.99 was 25% of my weekly income back in 1974, today £7.99; the cost of an iTunes album, is less than 2%, and I often find it...
it is 26 minutes long so is an 'Album Only' track. And on that note I'm off to bed
Never, because I only buy single songs that are or were released as 'singles'. However I can think of many albums that whilst individual tracks may appear to 'make sense' alone, together with the other tracks on the album the effect of the whole is far greater than the sum of its parts. Lou Reed's Berlin, Iggy Pop's Avenue B, Kate Bush's Aerial, The Art of Noise's Seduction of Claude Debussy spring to mind as albums that only work satisfactorily as complete albums as do...
Well as MissionGrey realised in post 95 when he checked Amazon US http://www.amazon.com/s/qid=12487270...0090727&page=1 8870 commercial albums were released in the last 30 days, which if it is a representative 30 days works out at 106,440 over a year which is remarkably similar to the figure I quoted earlier.Yes, some will be re-releases, but so what? Many of them will not have been previously available on CD and will be 'new' to many people. I recently bought The Flying...
Prior to CDs albums on vinyl lasted between 30 and 40 minutes. Because CDs can hold 70 minutes of music many artists and labels feel that they have to fill this space, and sadly there are customers who agree and complain on Amazon and iTunes if an album is 'only' 30 or 40 minutes long. This, in some cases inevitably leads to padding a CD with tracks which would previously have been left off a vinyl album. However as the real terms cost of a 70 minute CD today is less...
iTunes hasn't brought back anything, prior to digital downloads we were never able to pick and choose which album tracks we bought. The album was released and it was up to the artist and the record label as to which tracks were released as singles. Often this was a compromise between what the artist wanted and what the label thought would sell.I agree with every word
See my reply above. That list on Wiki is worse than useless, I can find dozens of omissions simply comparing it with Amazon.com, and it doesn't appear to include digital only releases.Amazon UK lists 1240 albums released in the UK in the last 30 days alone, so I don't see how 1000 in the whole of 2008 in the USA is a realistic figure.
Certainly, several websites quote the source http://www.soundscan.com/about.html but I found the quotes here The list in your link appears to be simply one compiled by wiki users as the 2009 version shows as incomplete and requests additions. A quick search shows that 2 of my favourite albums, both by established artists, Grace Jones' 'Hurricane' released in 2008 and Iggy Pop's recent 'Preliminaires' are both missing from the Wiki listings.