or Connect

Posts by sunspot42

Amazon is the real threat to Apple, not Samesung or Google.  Sammy and G don't have everybody's credit card numbers - Amazon does.  Google's hardware (via Motorola) is perpetually D.O.A., while Sammy doesn't get software and will be forever dependent on Google for Android.   Amazon on the other hand has already forked Android successfully, and their hardware is doing great (for the price).  They'll have no trouble displacing Samsung and Google in the increasingly...
Folks are missing the real reason why Intel is making this move: because Samsung is getting really, really big and walking off with the entire mobile chip business.  As their volumes increase and the chips become ever more sophisticated, they're become a chip fab powerhouse with the kind of volume it takes to rival even Intel when it comes to process advancements.  That's a direct threat to Intel's primary competitive advantage - the best fabs in the industry.   This is...
Samesung is screwed if this thing comes out.  They're already selling an inferior good, so they won't hold any advantage over Amazon in consumers' minds.  How can they hope to compete with free?   I'm assuming the phone will be free and Amazon will offer you a deal on the service, in the US probably in conjunction with one of our also-ran (read: desperate) cellular networks.  You'd probably have to subscribe to Amazon Prime.  And you wouldn't get a lot of minutes or a...
I live in the city.  I walk past that fountain pretty much every day, going to and/or coming from work.  And I usually hit Union Square on the weekends.   It's a freaking eyesore, and the plaza it's in is a dark, barren, windswept pit even the homeless won't enter.   I'm actually surprised the Hyatt hasn't had the fountain drained and removed already, because it's a huge drowning risk for small children.  The lip on it is quite low and it would be easy for a...
Would somebody please explain to me why Apple needs to increase its share of the market of "people who have no money"?   That seems like a really crappy market to be in, frankly.   Back in the days of the home computer wars, Apple wisely stayed out of the cost-cutting fray Jack Tramiel launched with Commodore.  Atari, TI, Coleco, even Tandy rushed headlong into the race to the bottom, and it either drove them out of the market (TI, Coleco) or nearly bankrupted...
Samsung nixes plans for Windows RT tablets in US, citing 'modest' demand   Wow!  Really?  I'm...I'm shocked.  Shocked I tell you.  I thought consumers would go wild for a Windows device that can't run Windows software.   Who could have possibly seen this coming?  
Well, now we know what impact Windows 8 had on the PC market when it came out in the 4th quarter.  It killed it.   Microsoft is starting to enter a RIM-like death spiral.  They're huge compared to RIM - and more diversified with their Office app monopoly and back-end products like Exchange and SQL Server - so they can circle the drain for years.  But Windows is a huge chunk of their revenue and profit and the reason why they're so dominant with Office apps and in the...
This move from Google has nothing to do with wanting to compete with Samesung.  They don't.  Problem is, Google is going to need to compete with Amazon, and Samdung doesn't have any ecosystem to facilitate that.  Just look at how Amazon is crushing Samsung in the tablet market with their forked version of Android, one that doesn't use any of Google's services.   Amazon is about to enter the phone market.  They'll be selling decent phones for free, hoping to make up...
Black Friday sales of Windows notebooks down 10% Microsoft is doomed.   
Of course it's serviceable - you take it to the Genius Bar and they either fix it for you or give you a new one.   I'm too old, too busy and make too much money to waste my time effing with a busted PC.  I have people to do that.  I'd no more screw around with a broken computer than I would with a broken washing machine.  And I'm certain that 99% of the people who can afford an iMac feel the exact same way.   But it's always nice to hear from the pocket-protector...