or Connect

Posts by sunspot42

Exactly what Apple wants.  Apple wants a bunch of manufacturers squabbling over the crumbs at the low end of the market in a race to the bottom.  While they might be able to move a lot of worthless units, it won't be enough to fund the development of powerful next-generation systems and they won't attract the kind of customers who spend $100 or more a month on software, services and media - which is where Apple makes big money and expands its ecosystem.   Remember the...
  Not true.  They lost the console war to Nintendo, and it cost them billions to get to where they are (second place) in the console business (upwards of $30 billion).   At the rate they're (finally) making money off the console business, it'll take them years just to recoup their investment.  And that assumes they don't chuck another $10 - $20 billion into their next generation console (which they might have to do to compete with Sony and Nintendo, again).   The console...
Pin drop...
I don't think we'll ever see ARM-powered Macs.   We might, however, see iOS, ARM-powered ultrabooks based off the iPad.  And if those take off we could then see iOS devices from Apple slowly supplant the Mac on the desktop.  It wouldn't take a ton of effort for Mac software publishers to convert existing Mac titles to such a platform.  Intel-based desktops would remain for a few years during the transition until ARM performance became sufficient.  Eventually Apple...
Used the turn by turn directions over the weekend - they're awesome!  Only problem I had - the voice is waaaaay too loud when you're playing music.  It mutes the music - which is great - but then screams at you at full volume, "TURN RIGHT IN 2 MILES!!!!!"   If I hadn't been expecting it, it would have scared me half to death.  As it was, it was terribly distracting.  Apple needs to fix this so that the volume of the voice is no louder than the volume of the music...
Only problem I have with iOS 6 is battery life, which seems substantially degraded on my 4S.  Haven't figured out yet if a setting was changed by the upgrade or what.   Maps work fine for me.  No worse than Google's maps, which were buggy as heck.
Meg just wants to make a phone one of her illegal alien domestics can afford...
If Apple truly thought they had supply constraints going into this launch, they wouldn't have launched in so many countries at once.  They would have staggered the iPhone 5 rollout as they've done with models in the past, likely concentrating on countries where their profit margins are highest, until sufficient supply became available to meet demand in the launch countries.  Only then would they fold new countries into the mix.   The fact they opened broad and...
  Uh, which specs do they "best" the iPhone 5 on?
  The new Ivy Bridge chipsets have all sorts of thermal management goodness built in, which should help with any heat issues.  The new processors are substantially more efficient as well.  Yanking the DVD should also make it easier to provide the internals with cooling, even if the case gets thinner.  Newer monitors tend to run cooler as well, as do newer hard drives (especially if they go with SSDs as standard equipment for the boot drive, which Apple just might).